Win2k Randomly Freeze

westgates

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
My PC randomly freeze. Normally happens when I play AC (3D online game) but it could also happen when it's doing nothing or when I browse the web.
The odd thing is that it normally freezes randomly twice within the first 30 minutes after the PC startup. Then the PC run smoothly without locking up.
I've tried install/re-install the latest VIA 4-in-1 driver and Nvidia drivers.

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
if you figure out what it is, let me know. I seem to have this problem too. don't know wth it is. I've done a full heuristics virus scan on my pc on ALL files. Not a virus. I've reinstalled SP2 a couple times. I'm at the end of my rope on my PC...I have an Asus A7V266-E mobo and Gainward GEFORCE3 video card...

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX)]

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
How many sticks of memory do you have on your board.

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
Me personally - I have 3 brand new Kingston 256 MB PC2100 DDR sticks of ram on a brand new Asus A7V266-E motherboard, AMD XP 2000 1.67 GHz CPU, Gainward GEFORCE 3 video card, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX sound card and a Thermaltake Volcano 7 on my CPU. Anything else? ;D

Also, I figured it out. Its not just IE 6.0 that hangs. Its about anything, but it does it quicker with IE. Playing games seems to prolong the hanging of the PC...but anything else, it seems to want to hang. :(<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dinoX on 05/02/02 01:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I have the same board and if you run only 2 sticks of memory it will fix the problem.
Not what you want to hear but the board will lock occasionaly with 3 sticks.

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
well that sucks. i wish they'd fix that with some sorta bios update. :(

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX)]

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
The latest one is 1008e.003 beta and it doesn't.

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
damn. maybe we could get Tom to email Asus or something. ;D

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
OK, I took out 1 stick of RAM. Maybe it was the cause. 2 sticks I have, the memory chips were made by Nanya and one was Samsung, but all 3 sticks were Kingston with the same ID number on them. Hopefully this will fix the problem. If so, then I'll be happy. If not, then I'm still gonna be mad.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
You may have to try them in different slots. Mine work in slot 1 & 2.
Let us know.

jezze

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
If using only 2 memory sticks doesn't solve your problem try the following:
1. make sure your super CPU is not overheating, the symptoms you describe reminds me of that type of problems.

2. Are you over clocking your CPU? anyways use the default Bios settings to troubleshoot. Sometime being greedy by trying to run your CPU faster of what it was made for will cause this type of problems.
3. make sure your memory SIMMS are placed tight on their slots. A loose stick can cause that trouble too.
4.Use your task manager and check rich processes are running. Disable one by one and let your PC run.

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
removing one stick of RAM worked for me. I guess I'll just use this PC for gaming and put that said stick into my other PC and use that one for development of web pages and maps for mods. :)

ElGromit

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2002
Mine freezes randomly too. Games have yet to make it hang - it only seems to do it when I'm running IE or OE. It will completely lock up, except for the mouse. If I click the mouse a bit then the comp beeps once and completely hangs.
I'm running A7V333/XP1900+/512MB.
I've just tried putting on SP2 and fiddling with my BIOS a little and am waiting to see what happens. If it still hangs I'll pull one 256MB Kingmax PC2700 stick and see what happens.