Netmaster

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
So I have an RV120W as my "main router" but I can't get a wire into the garage to get a couple of computers in there access to the internet / LAN. I have a WCG200 cable gateway at my disposal, with a built in 4port switch and wondered if I can configure it's WLAN to connecto the RV120W SSID and use wireless as my link between my garage network and the rest of the house LAN?

I appreciate that the WCG200 isn't going to connect at blinding speeds, which I'm ok with, I just wanted to know if it's possible?

RealBeast

Titan
I don't think that the WCG200 can act as a wireless bridge, and it cannot use dd-wrt firmware, which would enable that use, and since you cannot run a CAT5e cable, if your electrical system has the garage on the same breaker box as the house use a pair of powerline adapters to get the signal to the WCG200 in AP mode.

Netmaster

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
With all the research that I did, I came to the same conclusion. I ended up purchasing a NetGear WN2500RP and went through the setup, getting frustrated with the fact that as soon as I unpacked it, it simply wouldn't connect (through the "setup wizard") to my existing WLAN. After about an hour of reading that there was no connection, I simply chose to "connect later" and then went through the rest of the wizard. ah heck me if, once completed, the 2500RP showed connection to my WLAN and all devices connected to it operated as advertised.

So, all in all, I completed what I had intended on doing although a few more grey hairs (on account of the initial setup of the NetGear device) have adorned my noggin. Since then, everything's been working flawlessly.

Additionally, I had used the electrical wiring / CAT5 extension system which worked "to a degree" : I never got better than an "orange" (medium) connection with it's paired partner, typically it was red - which did work, but wasn't all that consistent. I've read since that these Ethernet over Power systems typically work best when on the same electrical circuit in a building. My house is over 40 years old (which probably accounts for something as I'm sure the wiring isn't what it used to be) and for "general" house use, I had to span across three of the possible four circuits which all that I've read, explains to avoid. Laughable really, as if someone is going to rewire their electrical outlets to be on the same circuit so that Ethernet over Power works? I don't think so.

RealBeast

Titan
Yeah, the best I get on the same circuit is 50-80Mbps, but if you have no other choice it does get something out there, but crossing breakers really kills the speed. Good choice on the WN2500RP.

And ignore all those supposed jpg links listed -- they all go to bogus ad sites and the guy should be banned for that kind of cr@p.