And you call yourself a professional...

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
There was a recent thread that was started...then solved...call Windows 8 good for gaming?

The best answer that was given was:Good for a phone or a tablet would be about it from what I've seen. MS would be hard pressed to ever have it pass for a gaming platform as it is obviously made for a moble device. Do yourself a big favor and stick with Win7 for gaming.

Are you serious?! No links, no suggestions for research, no cold hard facts. Nothing but incorrect speculation. I was under the impression that this site had a bevy of prefessionals that knew something about the platforms they run and test. And all you can give this guy for an answer was basically "I don't like what apears to be a mobil platform on my PC so neither should you".

Well hopefully the original poster did more research than listened to the uninformed opinions on he previous thread

First off a large portion of gaming performance has to do with hardware. The drivers that are written for the hardware for Windows 8 will largely determine the performance over Windows 7. I don't forsee any issues getting drivers for the hardware in most machines...in fact NVIDIA has a driver out for my old 9600gt for Windows 8. I would suspect they have one for any 400 or 500 series and will going forward along with many other chipset companies.

Drivers and hardware are fine...so then next would be the OS itself. Win8 is designed to use less system resources then Win7. This is a good thing...faster, lighter, leaving more resources for everyting else you run...including games.

There are many more reasons why I would think that Win8 will handle any game you could throw at it just like anyone going from XP to 7.

If anyone can give me one ounce of fact as to why Win8 will not play games just as good as Win7....i'd love to see it. I'm talking release version, not Consumer Preview.

Solution

I don't...
I believe you were referring to this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/391-73-will-windows-good-gaming

The user "price_th" who got the best answer selected is just a regular forum user who signed up January 29th, 2012. The people who really do know what they are talking about would never post up something like the response in that thread you are referring to. What made you think this person was actually working for, or otherwise affiliated with BestofMedia?

You are exactly right in your assertion that Windows 8 is a suitable gaming platform though. Aside from perhaps driver support to bring the performance up to par with Windows 7, there shouldn't be any reason why a game that worked in 7, would not work in 8.

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
You are on a public forum. Most answers come from computer nerds who answer during their free time (like I do) I have never used Windows 8 so I cannot comment on that but, remember you won't necessarily get a professional answer on a public forum. If you want research or anything look it up yourself. We will tell you, if you want proof look it up. Don't get annoyed because someone who comments when they have time won't give you a tome worth of research. Most of it is totally opinionated anyway.

Hi :)

I am a Pro...

I have 8 on a test machine.... and not even bothered to try games because its a BETA...

When its RELEASED , then I would put money on the fact it WILL play games perfectly ...after a few months of driver problems, the same as we got with ...95,98,Me, XP, Vista and 7....

All the best Brett :)

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I contributed to that thread so I remember it. The point I would make is that it was the original poster that determined the quality of the answer that got selected as best answer not the people answering the question. (For the record I did not agree with the chosen answer.) If someone puts up a rather subjective question and then of their own free will determines a sub standard answer has met their requirements then that is just the way it goes.

Generally this is how I and the rest of the moderation team deal with it, unless it's obvious that the user(s) involved are trying to game the points and best answer system.

rglaredo

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I closed the thread because it served no purpose. The question should have been more specific. It was to general. Besides I closed the thread the next day !! literally..the last response 3 days after it was closed ....and it does look like the windows phone crap ...hate it ...maybe I'm to used to windows looking like it does today I'm sure there will be an option for that.

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I'm sorry, but were you expecting a massive tech forum to be made up of nothing but professionals with 100% legitimate answers to subjective questions about what is "good"?

You will find good answers here, but just like anything else in life you have to take everything with a grain of salt and make sure information is as correct and unbiased as possible before you make a decision.

Just so you (and anyone else that may be wondering) are aware, marking a best answer does not close a thread. Only moderators and above are able to do that.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

i find it rather ironic that someone complaining about an answers lack of researched proof doesnt provide evidence to support his claim as well.

Now time for my opinion:
will windows 8 be good for gaming? yeah for sure, but was it intended for the desktop? NO i cant see any evidence supporting the claim that it was desktop first phone/tablet later so it might just end up not gaining any ground in the desktop world thus explaining why i brought this up in the first place.... it wont matter how well the platform is for gaming because i dont think it will gain traction.

4745454b

Titan
Actually it doesn't matter who answers. Consider that its the uninformed guy who posted the question to begin with that gets to pick the answer you will always have this type of thing going on. (no offense to the guy the OP was talking about.) As long as the original guy gets to pick "best answer" you will always have odd stuff going on.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I think that Win 8 will take care of gaming requirements without any dramas. The GUI never plays a role when a game is up and running as the game almost invariably has its own interface. There is no reason to believe that MS would do anything to disrupt the generally stable back end processes we rely upon.

The main concerns are around the front end GUI. It is not the desktop we know though some things look traditional. Tablet and Phone Software has certain needs that Win 7 does not accommodate. Integration between platform is critical to MS continued success.

Win 8 seems to have great potential for those who run multi screen set ups. The task manager is awesome and it boots very quickly.

When it goes to a full RC, then I will start torture testing with games etc.

As an off the cuff statement, it will be as good as W7, but should be better due to its slimmer requirments and I wouldn't be surprised for W8 to turn up as the interface for the next Xbox, just so they have one interface across, gaming, desktop and mobile platforms.

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Running windows 8 now, it won't play "the suffering" from 2006 or HL1 but will play everything else I have. When the actual release comes out it'll probably be fixed. It is based a lot more on Windows 7 than you'd think.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I don't know if this will be helpful for future threads, but here are generalized additions to Windows 8 over Windows 7.

The correct answer is Windows 8 will be fine for gaming. There are a few reasons.

Windows 8 is essentially Windows 7. They've made modifications of course. An important change is how Windows 8 will utilize multicore processing and threading. An example is Amd's highly anticipated processor architecture the Bulldozer made a mild splash. It didn't hit nearly the benchmarks anybody was expecting. Well, Amd's device isn't apparently coded correctly for Windows 7, Microsoft has been able to patch to increase performance mildly. But Windows 8 will supposedly unlock the true potential of Amd's device and boost Intel's devices performance. Microsoft worked closely with several manufactures to ensure maximum efficiency with hardware.

Essentially just like each major revision to and Operating System it fundamentally contains the foundation of it's predecessor- but optimizes and enhances those features in it's next version. The primary focus for Windows 8 is it's interface will be revamped so that one Operating System can essentially be used between phone, tablet, and computer. These interface changes have no bearing on your games- just how you'll access them.

Windows 8 is also attempting to integrate a true UEFI Bios system and faster boot times. Windows 8 essentially takes five seconds to boot on my machine from no power.

Your hardware is still the fundamental strength to your gaming. Windows 8 still utilizes the same exact developer suite and frameworks in Windows 7. My developer suite for Windows 8 didn't change drastically impacting previous generations, if I code for Metro. Which is the new Operating System GUI that will take advantage of mobile and laptop/desktop computing.

Metro which is a major addition to Windows 8 allows your computer and tablet the same experience without specifically coding for a mobile device, or altering your application too much. You can find out more about Metro: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229512

Metro is the largest push primarily because Microsoft is finding it harder and more difficult to compete with Google and Apple in the mobile realm. They are hoping by working closer with several hardware vendors to create a platform that meets criteria for both mobile and non-mobile platforms Microsoft can create the surge it needs to compete. Also by creating this change in the Operating System they've essentially created a larger market that desktop developers can program for without impacting our suite too much. Microsoft is essentially trying to turn it's largest share of programmers into tablet programmers while maintaining it's dominance for the desktop as well.

Microsoft is touting several claims including this is the most secure version of Windows to this is the fastest. They've put a lot on the line to develop Windows 8- so they wanted to offer as much improvements as possible to entice wider use and development.

The correct answer is Windows 8 will not impact your gaming. If your truly concerned about it, partition your hard-drive with a bootable version of Windows 8 and try it. If you'd like additional information or benchmarks I can take several benchmarks with my Windows 8 partition for your comparison.

Solution

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Windows 8 took some time for me to get used to it. But since I do a lot of coding for work; I had to use it. After one to two weeks the Metro GUI sort of grew on me, Windows 7 feels old and outdated now. The start system is appealing and let's me truly customize what I want to access and see which is quite nice. The interface has had several massive revisions to multiple applications running, task manager, control panel, administrator console-control, and several other aspects. It actually is quite nice after the initial culture shock.

The thing that I love the most are performance boost. The fact my machine with Windows 8 takes 5 seconds to boot, is nice. I don't mind shutting down knowing it'll take hardly anytime to log back in.

I'd give it a real chance though before ruling it completely out. Try Oracles Virtual Box, it will allow you to create a emulator to run Windows 8 on your machine from inside Windows 7. Saves you time with partitioning.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Actually Win8 IS intended for the desktop...thus running on a desktop, supporting desktop apps, having available drivers for desktop PCs etc. How can you say MS did not intend Win8 to run on a desktop...show me where MSFT says this. This is what I mean...this guy is going to tell people that W8 is not designed for Desktops...AND PEOPLE LISTEN TO THIS CRAP.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

"NO i cant see any evidence supporting the claim that it was desktop first phone/tablet"

based on that half sentence wouldnt you infer that by the use of intended that i meant that it was meant for mobile more then it was the desktop?

i never meant that it was never meant to be available for the desktop. it sounds like you just wanted to rant and found something that you thought you could rant about.

My opinion:
w8 is tailored toward the mobile world but that does not mean we will see a perf loss on the desktop.