Does windows xp sp3 have a limitation on wireless-n

daferret

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
i am unable to connect to the wireless-n signal on my router with windows xp sp3. when i force it, i get slow throughput, 20Mbps -> 1.3 Mbps. is there a patch so that i can maximize my connectivity? called netgear support and they said xp does not handle wpa2 and wpa2 is the only security for wireless-n

They told you WHAT ? WPA2 support was back in 2005 with a extra patch it was integrated in SP3.

More than likely your problem is with the device driver for you wireless card. That very well may not have support for WPA2 if it is really old. You need to load the latest driver for the device and see if it helps. Otherwise time to get a $10 USB wireless adapter.

daferret

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Thanks. I updated the driver/firmware on the card and that didn't seem to help. Although I only updated to the lenovo approved level and not the intel level. however, i changed my router to a asus and all seems better. wpa2-aes and running at 23Mbps not 1 Mbps. I'm wondering if linksys and netgear have a harder encryption and that's what's hosing up my laptop.