icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Okay, I have an IBM 40 GB 5400RPM hd. Lately I have had a couple of 'bad sectors' that have been 'repaired'. My question is, if bad sectors start cropping up is the hd about to give out? And if so, the hd is still under warranty since I bought a system with a two year warranty and is there anyway to get the HD 'bad enough' so that they will have to replace it without knowing I messed anything up?

<font color=green>My other personality is schitzofrenic.</font color=green>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe, maybe not. Depends how lucky you are.

Typically you just end up getting more of them as time passes, killing files and Corrupting the OS, like what happened with my 60GXP.
Sometimes though the drive may be days away from a complete crash.

In either case, definately a GOOD time to backup all your data, and probably replace it as well.

<b>The Intel Celleron 2.1 & 2.2Ghz processors provide consumers with a great way to get on the Internet. Which one of the 478 pins plug into the phone socket? - <i>Intel & The Inquirer</i></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can have false bad sectors, you would need to repartition and reformat to get them back. However if doing that still leaves you with unrecoverable bad sectors, your drive is due for free replacement regardless if it's only a few of them.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS