Sign in with
Your question

Installing on multiple drives

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
May 21, 2012 2:39:30 PM

I have a question on installing Windows 7 on a PC with removable drive trays. I want to install Windows 7 on a PC. I have several drive trays I swap out depending on what I'm working on. I have a separate drive for video editing, as an example.
That way, I don't have unneeded crap running in the background when I'm rendering video.

Will anti-piracy features prevent me from doing this? I know I can't install on more than one PC, but these drives will only be used on one PC, and, of course, only one will be in use at any given time. I plan on changing the volume numbers on all the secondary system drive partitions to match my main system drive. I'm hoping this will "fool" Windows into thinking I only have one installation. This worked fine on XP, but I don't know if W7 will allow it. I really don't want to buy five copies of W7 when I don't use some of these secondary system drives a whole lot. Thanks for any advice you can give.

More about : installing multiple drives

a b $ Windows 7
May 21, 2012 2:48:48 PM

it shouldn't be an issue if your using the one machine with different drive caddies, install one instance of win7 on one hard drive then activate it, then just use rawcopy or any other cloning software of your choice to just duplicate the disk to the other caddies.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 21, 2012 2:56:38 PM

+1 clone a basic setup and the tweak each image for its own purpose.
m
l
May 21, 2012 3:10:20 PM

Thanks. That's what I was planning on doing. Doing an install with just the basics, and then cloning it and installing what I need for it's intended use.
m
l
!