Windows 7 Chkdsk, rescache errors

tgd3

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Yesterday I tried to install an image mounting program (Alcohol 120%) on Windows 7 Professional x64. When the instillation started it prompt me to restart my computer (which is normal). When my computer restarted I got 5 error messages at the logon screen (in the following order):

(1) The file or directory C:\Windows\rescache is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility.

(2) The file or directory \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility.

(3) The file or directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility.

(4) The file or directory \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility.

(5) The file or directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility.

After hitting ‘OK’ on each message and typing my password Windows logged me on to a temporary profile.

I went to my C: drive and tried to run the chkdsk but I got this message: “Windows can’t check the disk while it’s in use.” So I chose to schedule a disk check next time I log on. Then I restarted and let chkdsk run. Then I got this error message:

“Cannot open volume for direct access.
Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.
Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore to a point prior to the recent software package instillation.
An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1)”

I then skipped check disk and tried to System Restore and got this error message:

“The disk C: has errors
Windows has detected file system corruption on C: you must check the disk for errors before it can be restored.”

Windows seems to be taking me in circles, and I am unsure of what to do. I would really like to avoid reinstalling windows and starting from scratch.

If anyone has had this problem or knows what to do, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ted.

Solution
I hate when these type of things happen involving the whole chkdisk utility, as it never does any good. The thing is if you cannot do a system restore, just about the only other option available besides a complete format would be to run a start up repair. If you have the DVD, boot from it and select the correct option when you get into it. You may be able to run a system restore from there as well. If those options are a no go, I'm afraid that you may be forced into doing a clean install. But give those options a try first.
I hate when these type of things happen involving the whole chkdisk utility, as it never does any good. The thing is if you cannot do a system restore, just about the only other option available besides a complete format would be to run a start up repair. If you have the DVD, boot from it and select the correct option when you get into it. You may be able to run a system restore from there as well. If those options are a no go, I'm afraid that you may be forced into doing a clean install. But give those options a try first.

Solution

tgd3

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
ah yeah, i forgot to mention that i do have the dvd and i plan on doing that tonight when i get back to the problem computer. ill post again after that attempt.