muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
I have two hard drives and everytime my computer starts it asks if i want to load windows me or winxp. i formatted the win me hard drive but it still asks if i want to boot to win me. i know there is a file to edit to get rid of the dual boot option but i forgot what the name of it was. how do i get rid of the dual boot option?

muc0n

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2002
Where is this file located. i have windows xp pro. all hidden and protected system files are shown and i still cannot find it even with search.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It should be in the boot sector of your main drive (C:).
You can use Search to find it (press F3).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
in Win XP - Goto > "Start>settings>control panel>system>advanced tab>startup and recovery>system startup edit".

----------------------------------------------
[boot loader]
<font color=red>timeout=10</font color=red>
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINME
[operating systems]
<font color=green>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Mellenium edition" /fastdetect</font color=green>
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

---------------------------------------------------------

You can remove the complete command string shown in green above for winME, or without editing the boot.ini just scroll to make the WinXP the default system and you can also reduce the time to display option back to a few seconds as shown in red above. Save the file and exit.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink: