"Not Supported Mode" when trying to connect PC to Samsung tv via displayport

lexi68

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hello,

I'm trying to connect my PC to my TV. I'm using the display port on my Lenovo thinkpad, and using a converter to connect an HDMI cord from my computer display port to my TV. However, when connecting, I get an image on my TV screen for several seconds, then I get the message "not supported mode."

I've got into my control panel and adjusted the screen resolution, setting the TV resolution to highest (1920 x 1080). The computer screen is set at a refresh rate of 60hz, but the only option I have for the TV is 30hz, interlaced.

Lastly, I have three hdmi ports on the TV. The closest I've gotten to getting this to work is plugging the HDMI cord into port 3, which is set as "game" on the TV settings.

Does anyone have any further recommendations on how I can get this to work? When the image shows for 5 seconds on the first port, it's very clear, but then goes to "Not Supported Mode". The third port shows the image, but is very fuzzy with lines shaking across the screen, so clearly, neither of these options are currently working.

Sorry for the novel.... :) Any input would be greatly appreciated!

stevek_83

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

hi there i was experiencing a similar problem with my hp laptop and my samsung 550 series. i have always used this computer to watch videos on the big tv through hdmi 3 port for years with absolutely no issues, however two days ago the wife and daughter wanted to watch something they missed on tv so i took the laptop upstairs and hooked up to a smaller rca tv and once again no issues at all, then i bring it back downstairs and hook back to the samsung and now i get that same "not supported mode". so now i search the internet and read about the monitor options in output, changing mainmonitor and whatnot in the graphics options. so i tried to extend to just the tv option and now my laptop is blank and i get nothing on the tv as well and the only way to change the output option i have to have the hdmi plugged in or i cant change it back and i cant change it back regardless because both screens show nothing when hdmi is plugged in. now i got angry lol. and gave up. few hours later i decided to try a different hdmi port on the tv and guess what ... it works fine in hdmi 1 and 2 but not in 3 anymore. i am not sure what changes may have occured on their own because i didnt change any settings at all. so i guess i will refrain from hooking this computer to any other tv ever again now that it works.