Sign in with
Your question

IP address conflict

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 3, 2012 12:11:49 PM

I have a PC running Windows 7 and an old Dell laptop running Windows xp. These were happily set up until I got a new Superhub from Virgin. (The PC is wired but the laptop is wifi.) Other devices are working OK (Android tablet and phone). The problem is with the laptop. It has a static IP address which is the same as the gateway.

It won't let me change the ip address because "media is disconnected" whatever that means, I won't disable the local area connection and makk a wired connection instead.

I did try changing the IP on the superhub but I still cot the same message about conflicts.

Don't know what I'm doing really, help!

More about : address conflict

a b D Laptop
November 3, 2012 10:14:33 PM

Change to a dynamic (DHCP) IP address, and then if you REALLY need a static for torrents or something similar then go into the router and make it permanently assigned instead, which will have the same effect as static but without future conflicts.
November 4, 2012 8:56:51 PM

Thanks, I've managed to get it all working.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2012 12:06:53 AM

No problem, but if you share the actual problem and fix it might help someone else later.
November 5, 2012 3:41:37 PM

OK

I expect the solution would be obvious to someone who know's what they are doing.

I was trying to configure the network with the laptop connected wirelessly. I found out how to change its IP address via the command prompt but got a message saying that it couldn't change this because "media disconnected". I was trying to see if I could wire it instead and eventually twigged that "media" = "modem".

Having found a cable to connect the laptop to the modem, I ran the Network Setup Wizard (Windows XP on the laptop). 2 IPs were assigned for wired and unwired. Removed the wire and all is working as I intended.

One small point - my computers can see each other and I can transfer files which is why I want them connected but the laptop isn't shown on the network map. It was before so I'm sure the settings on the laptop are as they should be. Smart phone and android tablet aren't mapped either - should they be? I can live without a map as everything seems to work but I'm curious!
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2012 6:48:14 PM

Only devices that have file and printer sharing enabled will show up when you browse the network.
November 7, 2012 5:16:10 AM

Individuals, online marketers and companies contact us online and the most frequently asked question is how do I change my IP? The answer is simple, chose someone who is trustworthy and not a hacker.
!