is it me or are the lower sized hard drives really expensive? 40GB for 84 dollars .. thats over 2 dollars a gig .. 20 gig for 60 . thats 3 dollars a gig. why so expenisve do you think? low supply probably *shrugs* ..it just sucks cos i wanna buy my bro a new hard drive at least a 30gig (he has a 10gig) but they are soo insanely expensive.

oh well ...

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Yes they are obviously. The price pr. MB is smallest for the mainstream drives. I.e. around 80 GB.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
it me or are the lower sized hard drives really expensive? 40GB for 84 dollars .. thats over 2 dollars a gig .. 20 gig for 60 . thats 3 dollars a gig. why so expenisve do you think?
As I was reading that I was just remembering several years ago when HD's were just coming out in 1 GB sizes. 2 or 3 dollars for one of those Hard Drives wouldn't have been considered too bad of a deal.

Maybe remembering that is just a sign that I am starting to get old. I can't wait to tell my children in 10 years about the computer I played on growing up.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I tried telling my kids about my 286's and my C64. They didn't believe me.

Did you know that the Space Shuttle runs on the equilivent of 8 C64 computers? They use 8 of them mostly for redundancy reasons.

I think I might still have my old 286 lying around somewhere. I should introduce them to the wonders of DOS, and the exciting world of 4 color CGA graphics. I'm sure that they'll be blown away by the 16 MHz CPU and the 640 K of RAM. And when I tell them that I spent over $5000 to buy it used I'm sure that they'll ROTFLOL.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
They may be impressed by the C64 with 64KB of RAM and an amazing Rockwell 6502 CPU running an awesome 1 MHz. Considering the hardware I'm still impressed what that box was capable of. I still have mine, actually I have two. And several generations of the Amiga (I loved that machine).

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yep. Its the law of the market.
Regardless of drive capacity, it costs a certain amount to manufacturer and ship a drive. Thus the low capacity units dont cost linearly less than one twice the capacity. The Gb/$$$ curve dows not intersect zero.

The opposite happens at the high end, with UBER capacity drives costing exponentially more than mainstream ones as they are 'rare' and the companies can get a better profit margin from them as people are willing to pay or just to have the latest and greatest.

As allways, the best bang/buck has been in the middle, currently around 60-120Gb drives.

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>