Maxtor 4k040h2 just died?

The 40 gig maxtor in my dad's computer just up and died a few minutes ago. No appearant reason...left the computer, came back and the computer had restarted, and it would no longer recognize the hard drive. at all. It disappeared of the face of the motherboard...checked connections, everything seems fine. Have not yet tried it in another computer yet, but that is the next step....

Any ideas?

Try New w00tables 1337-flavored snack food -
7h3r35 4 p4r7y 1n my m0u7h, 4nd 0n1y 13375 4r3 1nv173d!
5 answers Last reply
More about maxtor 4k040h2 died
  1. Is the drive motor spinning? Can you hear any power-up initialisation/calibration seeks when its turned on?

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
    <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>
  2. Hm, just tried it in my computer as a slave.....it was recognized in post, but windows would not boot....checking right now for spin up...

Try New w00tables 1337-flavored snack food -
    7h3r35 4 p4r7y 1n my m0u7h, 4nd 0n1y 13375 4r3 1nv173d!
  3. You can't expect that Windows will boot from that drive when windows was installed on it in another comp. If the mobos are not identical for those comps, you'll probably get the BSOD during windows boot, since chipset drivers etc. don't match.

Put the drive as slave (as you did) but boot up the master as you normally do. Then test the drive.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
    <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HammerBot on 11/29/02 07:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  4. the drive should at least spin up.. thats the first thing... but dont expect it to bood on a different computer, unless you select safe mode!

<b>The Intel Celleron 2.1 & 2.2Ghz processors provide consumers with a great way to get on the Internet. Which one of the 478 pins plug into the phone socket? - <i>Intel & The Inquirer</i></b>
  5. download max-blast from maxtor if you don't have the floppy people get with maxtor drives, boot with floppy in drive and see what it got to say. it will let you know and give you the error code you need when calling maxtor to have it replaced.

also twice I got pooped drive running after managing to do a partition/format using their factory floppy, but that only work when it's not hardware problem.

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computer Maxtor Storage