Sign in with
Your question

New Win7 Computer - using old XP Drives?

Last response: in Windows 7
May 21, 2012 5:41:09 PM

I have just taken delivery of a new Win7 computer that contains 1 HDD (1TB). My old computer (Win XP) contains 2 HDDs (both 1TB). I am thinking of installing the 2 XP Drives into the Win7 box - are there any issues that I need to consider?

I am also considering a boot option so that I can boot into Win7 or WinXP (from my Win XP computer). Will this set up work? I think that I am only interested in the WinXP boot during the transition stage (ie WinXP --> Win7) that will involve reinstalling my standard software, porting over my data, etc.

More about : win7 computer drives

May 21, 2012 5:51:55 PM

Unless you are going to re-instal XP on the drives that you put in your new machines you will have more headaches than its worth - the hardware will be significantly different. A fresh XP install and dual boot option would be the way to go.
I moved some of my XP drives into my win7 computer - no big problems
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 21, 2012 5:54:54 PM

+1 to dish moose

I would remove all hard drives execpt the one you are install windows XP on, then after the install hook up the other drives.... Use your BIOS to pick the OS to load.
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 6:41:17 PM

Moose / Anon - thanks for your replies.

I think that you have addressed the boot part of my OP but not the first part about XP HDDs v Win7 HDDs ... can Win7 read a Win XP HDD? Or do I need to reformat?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 21, 2012 6:46:15 PM

Thats a bit tougher because it's not always the same... you may have some security issues that you can get past and you may have no problem at all
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 21, 2012 6:47:28 PM

ruff_hi said:
I have just taken delivery of a new Win7 computer that contains 1 HDD (1TB). My old computer (Win XP) contains 2 HDDs (both 1TB). I am thinking of installing the 2 XP Drives into the Win7 box - are there any issues that I need to consider?

I am also considering a boot option so that I can boot into Win7 or WinXP (from my Win XP computer). Will this set up work? I think that I am only interested in the WinXP boot during the transition stage (ie WinXP --> Win7) that will involve reinstalling my standard software, porting over my data, etc.

if you still have access to the XP machine, you could make a virtual machine out of it, which you then store on the old 1TB's and access as a virtual on the win7 machine. Once you are happy that you don't need xp any more you can delete it. Its called a P2V (physical to Virtual) There is free software that will let you do it. You can even run it from your new machine to the old machine if they are sitting on the same network.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 21, 2012 7:00:57 PM

13thmonkey said:
if you still have access to the XP machine, you could make a virtual machine out of it, which you then store on the old 1TB's and access as a virtual on the win7 machine. Once you are happy that you don't need xp any more you can delete it. Its called a P2V (physical to Virtual) There is free software that will let you do it. You can even run it from your new machine to the old machine if they are sitting on the same network.

This might be the easiest way.

If its just transferring documents just copy and paste them from one drive to another. (documents, pictures, etc)

What you can't do is copy and paste installed programs, as these need there own specific reference points in the registry, few other reasons but I can't think of 'em right now. You will need to either get the cd or download it (if its free) from the original source.
m
l
May 22, 2012 1:05:16 PM

thx all for the comments. I was thinking about this overnight and I think I can free up one of my XP drives so that if I need to format it to get it to work with Win7, I can.

The end game is to port all of my stuff to Win7 ... i am just looking for the safest route there. I am ok running to boxes for a while (Win7 & XP).
m
l
May 22, 2012 1:23:59 PM

Xp and windows 7 use the same formats windows 7 can read and write to any windows file system that came before it. ntfs did not change from xp to windows 7.
m
l
!