Sign in with
Your question

Building a case

Last response: in Components
November 29, 2002 1:57:05 PM

I want to build a custom case. Is there a good electronic reason why cases are built of metal (other than device grounding)? I have a vision of a picture frame, hanging on the wall with the 'guts' visible and mounted flat using PCI risers, round cables, colorful, lots of air flow etc. Maybe a remote power brick. Maybe a TFT monitor worked in to clear the desktop. Wireless keyboard and mouse. Anyone had any experience with this? I have a well equipped shop...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wpeck on 11/29/02 11:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : building case

November 29, 2002 4:26:34 PM

Another reason that cases are made from metal is electronic interference that could occur. But I've seen cases made of only plastic so it wouldn't be a big problem not to use metal.

But I don't have experience with building cases... only with modding them.

My CPU runs so hot the arctic silver undergoes nuclear fusion :eek:  .
December 2, 2002 10:15:32 PM

Check out www.pimprig.com There might be some stuff there that may help point you in the right direction. I've seen other stuff on www.mini-itx.com as well. If I remeber any other sites or forums I'll try to post it.
Related resources
December 2, 2002 10:37:20 PM

I posted this URL a couple of weeks ago. Here is my "NoCase" computer case. It's been up and running now for about 3 months without any problems. Look here to see it.

www.ftrdesign.com/nocase

and while you're at it, check out my Hot Rod at

www.ftrdesign.com/rre

Who says that computer cases have to be "normal"? As you can see, I don't like normal stuff. I've got another one in the works that will look "similar" to this one but with some different stuff.

Go for it Bubba! Make it look any way you want just monitor the temps in the system to make sure there's not a heat problem.

UsHeR_564

"You can run, but your punk ass will only die tired!"
December 3, 2002 9:40:47 AM

I read the no-case thread before I posted the original message. I was glad to see I'm not the only one sick of "the box". There's got to be a better way...I see you found one of them. I will probably wait until after Christmas to build it, when the componnents come down in price. I'll post a pix of it when it's done.
December 3, 2002 9:43:39 AM

Thanks for the links. I'll check 'em out. Seems like a unusual project. Almost like computer art....or should I say artful computer?
December 4, 2002 2:56:06 AM

I got sick of the standard beige box too! So i replaced it.
Ive still got a case, but its a very nice black anodised aluminium case.

Metal cases DO reduce EMI interferance, though situations where this is a problem is limited, unless you run your tv aerial right next to your computer or something.

Apart from that, metal is easily shaped, sturdy, heat dissapating and cheap (for steel anyway).

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>
December 6, 2002 3:39:15 PM

I got tired of the beige color too... so I just painted it. Much more easy and cheaper.

My CPU runs so hot the arctic silver undergoes nuclear fusion :eek:  .
!