Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 RAM issue

Last response: in Windows 7
February 15, 2010 6:18:49 PM

Been using W7 64bit for a few months now with no real problems. Other day all of a sudden there was a massive increase in use of ram, now using close to 100% of all 4gb for no real reason. Programs are responding slugishly and its really affecting the performance. I ran a virus check/spyware check and ccleaner but all seems ok. Any ideas?

More about : windows ram issue

a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2010 6:30:13 PM

1 Open task manager

2 go to processes tab

3 click on CPU column heading so that little triangle points down

4. whatever numbers are in that column is the % of cpu time that that program is using. TrendMicro and Norton are the most likely culprits in my experience.
m
l
February 15, 2010 6:33:50 PM

Currently nothing is really using CPU only system idle process.

svchost.exe using 115916K ram and next largest firefox at just under 100000K. These amount to 0.2 GB of RAM. The total of everything in task man doesnt look like it amounts to 4GB but here I am with a slow system lol.

I have screen dumped the image but not sure how to upload to here?
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2010 8:55:25 AM

nobody get any ideas??
m
l
February 16, 2010 3:29:41 PM

Go to the Microsoft website. Download and Install Process Explorer.

Think of it as Task Manager on steroids.

Once its running click....

View > Select Columns > Process Memory Tab
Enable Working Set Size and WS Private

This view should give you a better idea of what processes are using memory.
You can mouse over and hover on the different svchost processes and see what services they are handling. This will give you a better idea of why the one instance of svchost is so large.

Another possible cause of the problem is one on your applications has a memory leak. A memory leak will cause a process to grow out of control, sometimes slowly and sometimes quickly. The real problem with memory leak is when the process is terminated it will not release all resources it has claimed.

I suggest a reboot, followed by close scrutiny of all running processes.
m
l
February 16, 2010 3:32:05 PM

i have a 32bit OS and adobe reader uses 6.7k while yours uses 10k.....i'm not sure but maybe it's bcoz these softwares are of 32 bit running on a 64bit OS, thats why the *32...maybe switch to 32 bit computing though u'll have to sacrifise a 0.5 Gb of ram
m
l
February 16, 2010 5:05:37 PM

I don't have win7 at work, so I can't tell your the exact thing I'm thinking about but here I go.

There should be something called "system performance" if you use the search in the start menu. This should show memory usage that include "super fetch".

Windows can use memory for caching small file access to speed things up, but it *shouldn't* slow your system down since it's meant to release memory preemptively if free memory gets low and another program requests more memory.

Other ideas to slowness. Extra IO or video driver issues.
m
l
February 16, 2010 5:48:10 PM

shravankale said:
i have a 32bit OS and adobe reader uses 6.7k while yours uses 10k.....i'm not sure but maybe it's bcoz these softwares are of 32 bit running on a 64bit OS, thats why the *32...maybe switch to 32 bit computing though u'll have to sacrifise a 0.5 Gb of ram

64 bit version run 99% of 32 bit software just fine.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 16, 2010 6:01:31 PM

shravankale said:

It's not as easy as that - how much memory Acrobat Reader uses, as with any program, varies according to what files you may have open - and Acrobat Reader is AcroRd32.exe, not Acrobat.exe. Acrobat.exe is Acrobat Writer.
m
l
!