Need advice switching to MAC/PT from PC/ Sonic Foundry sof..

Last response: in Home Audio
November 19, 2004 3:11:04 PM

I DO NOT want to re-visit PCvsMACvsPCvsMAc..... !.

I work at a state university site and I am responsible for audio
production sftwe/hdwe support. The facilities include 6 audio-post or
music/audio production rooms with a full suite of PC based Sonic
Foundry (nee-Sony) sftwe. It includes continually updated Sound Forge,
Vegas, Acid Pro and CD Architect sftwe as well as NR plug ins etc. Due
to various influences other than my own, I will be converting most of
it to MAC / Pro Tools LE - Digi 02 systems. Only somewhat familiar
with MAC and PT, I look forward to ramping up on the PT/MAC platform
but I don't look forward to eliminating the familiar PC/SF format.
Space and budget constraints prevent dual format suites.

Although PT LE (digi-02)reportedly will "replace" Sound Forge and
Vegas, The Acid program is to be replaced with a Soundtracks(sp)
sftwe I'm not familiar with. Currently all student production is
prohibited from use of copyright audio/music so stock Acid loop
library production is used extensively for bed music and dramatic
music / ambience.
Will Soundtracks(sp) be a reasonable replacement for Acid?

More important to me is a suitable replacement for CD Architect on
the Mac/PT platform. I find CD ARCH. to be easily learned to
competency by students and the GUI is well layed out and intuitive. I
use it myself for both long form concert and long lecture mastering to
Redbook CDA and other CDA as well as many unusual archival masters and
PSA distribution for in-kind work with govt. agencies. What CD
mastering software "compares" with eae of CD Architect's GUI and will
run on MAC/PT platform as plug -in or stand alone?.

AGAIN -I DO NOT WANT A MACnoPCnoMACnoPC argument --- PLEASE!!. I
am the tech not the program director!.

Hardware consideration suggestions are welcomed but basically
G4orG5/ OSX(current applicable ver)can be assumed. I also maintain
analog and digital consoles and assist in the video production/editing
enginnering and maintenance.

I have updated the systems from the Scully's, 350's and Revox's to
ATR 4TK, F1/s, DAT's, Akai DR's, ADAT's and into the wonderful world
of software systems. I have always tried to impress the students (and
instructors) these are the TOOLS of audio production NOT the means. I
can still cut tape but I rather cut and paste any day. Although i must
admit, some recently baked transfers from circa' 1966 Scotch 201
masters sounded as good to me on the ATR as any 24/96 master I've
heard lately.

Thanks R
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 9:45:08 PM

woods@sunydutchess.edu (Tubehead) wrote in

> I work at a state university site and I am responsible for audio
> production sftwe/hdwe support. The facilities include 6 audio-post or
> music/audio production rooms with a full suite of PC based Sonic
> Foundry (nee-Sony) sftwe. It includes continually updated Sound Forge,
> Vegas, Acid Pro and CD Architect sftwe as well as NR plug ins etc. Due
> to various influences other than my own, I will be converting most of
> it to MAC / Pro Tools LE - Digi 02 systems.

I thought Universities were supposed to be forward thinking.
Pro Tools? Welcome to the '90's.
Hope you have a large budget to waste.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 9:45:09 PM

In article <Xns95A98CC4C5A52kd9sd7ahjs6fdikf@140.99.99.130>,
Al Phillison <pa@aussie.au> wrote:

> woods@sunydutchess.edu (Tubehead) wrote in
>
> > I work at a state university site and I am responsible for audio
> > production sftwe/hdwe support. The facilities include 6 audio-post or
> > music/audio production rooms with a full suite of PC based Sonic
> > Foundry (nee-Sony) sftwe. It includes continually updated Sound Forge,
> > Vegas, Acid Pro and CD Architect sftwe as well as NR plug ins etc. Due
> > to various influences other than my own, I will be converting most of
> > it to MAC / Pro Tools LE - Digi 02 systems.
>
> I thought Universities were supposed to be forward thinking.
> Pro Tools? Welcome to the '90's.
> Hope you have a large budget to waste.

There's an interesting aspect to universities: they like to educate people in
useful areas. Guess how many prospective employers still want ProTools-saavy
employees? (By the way, LE systems are a lot less expensive than the TDM ones.)

We have a big Linux investment at Stanford (see Planet CCRMA), but until Ardour
becomes the industry standard, we're teaching ProTools, too.

-Jay
November 22, 2004 9:45:10 PM

Don't sweat it Jay, Phil Assilon is at it again...using a different address
to get past everyone's filters.

!