Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
hmm. i recently bought a PCI to USB(4 ports) adapter card. Upon installation, my Win98SE detected it and installed the driver. Under "Control panel --> System" It says that the devide is working properly.

heres the problem. it says its working properly. but it cant even detect a USB mouse that is plugged in. be it on booting up or even pluging it in after boot up. it simply cant detect it. now.. i'm sure the mouse works fine as i am using it on my laptop. anyone have any ideas what is wrong with it?

My system is a P166MMX desktop. I am pretty sure it can run USB 1.1 and it cannot run USB 2.0

PCI-USB Adapter (USB 1.1 4 output ports + 1 external USB HUB port)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow! Er, houston, we have a problem! OK, you're going to have to learn the hard truth-most newer PCI cards are not full "hardware" cards but rely on the processor to perform part of their functions. This is why decent winmodems require a Pentium 166MMX or higher, and cheap ones require a PII 333 or higher. It's completely possible that the card would appear to the OS to be working but still not function under these circumstances.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
ahh.. so that means i'm screwed?

more info:
430TX motherboard
Awards bios v4.51PG (USB compatible bios)
166MMX

ohh.. and one point i left out.. under USB root hub. it says theres 2 ports avaliable when there should be 4. Problem there? or does that mean that i can only use a 2 port card?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Foxhound on 12/01/02 02:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think so. Someone else might have a different explaination, I can't be certain that's your problem. But it sounds like it.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, one other thing you can try is putting the card in another slot, as it could be an IRQ sharing problem.

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
oops.. guess i was a bit slow adding details there.

more info:
430TX motherboard
Awards bios v4.51PG (USB compatible bios)
166MMX

ohh.. and one point i left out.. under USB root hub. it says theres 2 ports avaliable when there should be 4. Problem there? or does that mean that i can only use a 2 port card?

hmm.. says no conflict. funny thing though. but i'l try.

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
hmmmmm... PCI slot switched. no change. Took out my network card and SCSI card . still no change.

sitting down here staring at my opened desktop. seesh.. my mom is gonna kill me if i cant get the usb port working for my adsl modem.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
What is the make and model of the PCI-USB card. If possible can you post the number on the USB controller chip on that board (Its probably the largest black chip on the board).

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
ahhh.... wonderful question one that i cant answer yet cos they stuck one great "QC" sticker right on that chip *grimace* and I aint taking that off yet cos if nothing works I'll try and get a One-One exchange and try again. But i doubt its cos the card itself aint working. But until then, i wont take it off. No matter how curious i am. :frown:

ohh.. and regarding drivers, it uses the "82371AB/ED PCI to USB Universal Host Controller" that comes with my Win98SE

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, NOW you come out with it! OK, the TX chipset was the BEST Pentium chipset for several reasons, 1 was that it has a BUILT IN USB CONTROLLER. It's my guess that this is the controller showing up in Device Manager. If you have an AT board, you need a USB bracket (which usually has two USB ports and two cables running to an 8 or 10 pin header). If you get me the model number for the board I can tell you the rest. In all likelyhood you don't even need that PCI card, just the output cables.

The TX also supports the same large DIMMs as the BX and LX, so if you ever want to upgrade your memory, it should have no problem supporting 16-chip 256MB PC133 modules. So look at the board and get me that model number!

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Regardless of the sticker you do know the make and model of the board right? Somebody may know (or can find out) whether this particular board requires a fast CPU.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
wahz~ U are wonderful u know? keke.. I dug out my motherboard manual and found that theres 2 USB connectors on the board. hmm.. funny thing though.. which mean the card isnt detected.

P5I430TX-250 Titanium I :lol:

i know this board was the best when i chose it (DIY system). but i didnt know it was this good.. lol. geez...

yar. and u got anothing thing right. i am using 2x32mb SDRAM on that system.

any point to note when i am buying th cable?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
QDI normally makes good boards, all you need now is the cables for it. But on the <A HREF="http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/support/f_tx.htm" target="_new">FAQ page</A>, I found the following bogus information:
11. Does the TX series mainboard support the Hard Disk larger than 8.4G?
No, Because the TX Chipset doesn't support the Hard Disk larger than 8.4G
Now I'm right on TOP of things! I had a TX board with a late BIOS (2001) that supported and USED an 80GB drive!

Anyway, go to your local dealer or various parts sites to find the USB bracket.

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
hey guys.. i just got back from the hardware paradise at my place here. hmm... switched the card for others total to the same value (basically a 2 port adapter and some small cables)

the new one works on the OPTi 82C861 driver. and works with my com too :wink: . any comments on that chipset?

as for the on-board one.. haha.. i got the wrong type of connector.. got the 8-pin instead of the 10pin version (forgot that theres 2 blank pins there). have to run down and change again. maybe in a couple of days. i'll let u all know the outcome then.

Thanks guy~ THG rocks. basically yhe best hardware site I have come across. And so does th THGC rox. :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't need the 10-pin, these are interchangable. Each port is 4-pin, the 5th wire is a shield wire. Since the shield wire is ground, and pin 4 is ground, all you loose is the external shielding, which is usually unnecessary. What I'm saying is that pin 4 is signal ground and pin 5 is case ground. As long as you hook the red wire to Pin1 you're fine. Oh, and your board supports 512MB RAM, at $30 per 256MB module from Crucial. Time to upgrade?

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
hmm.. i'll try it out...

hmm.. upgrade? a 166MMX? nahz.. it works fine with 64mb ram and the upgrade wont make much of a difference as the graphics and processor cant keep up with anything todayz. still got my P3 500mhz laptop. but I'm planning to get a new system in 3 months time. and then pass my 166 as a hand-me-down to my dad's office. 166 still works fine for word processing and number crunching. hehe~

hmm.. whats the shielding for?

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
Pin 1 ---- VCC
Pin 2 ---- key
Pin 3 ---- Data-
Pin 4 ---- Data+
Pin 5 ---- GND

uh-oh.. i seem to have quite an odd configuration yes no?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Foxhound on 12/02/02 12:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Shielding is for electrical noise caused by other components inside the case. Not a big issue for USB1, many boards didn't even use it (as evidenced by your 8-pin cable).

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
lets see.. standard is

Pin 1 - VCC (+5V)
Pin 2 - DATA-
Pin 3 - DATA+
Pin 4 - GND
Pin 5 - GND

soi get the 5 pin version. take out the 5th pin. shift 4th to 5th, 3rd to 4th, 2nd to 3rd.

will this do?

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Does the TX series mainboard support the Hard Disk larger than 8.4G?
No, Because the TX Chipset doesn't support the Hard Disk larger than 8.4G
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess QDI make boards with some spetial 430TX chipset.I had 430FX board (gigabyte) and then 430TX(soyo) board, and they both worked fine with my 17GB hard drive (-:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, no they just LIED because they were too LAZY and CHEAP to make an updated BIOS for it.

Latest posts