Whats a Cheap Wifi Router for Time Warner?

koolx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
i'm looking to buy a low cost but good wifi router that works with Time Warner Cable. what do you guys suggest thats very cheap and easy to set up SPECIFICALLY with TWC?

That is going to depend if you need a router that has a cable modem in it or if you already have a cable modem. If you have the cable modem then you have a much larger selection of "cheap" routers. If you need a modem built in to a router it cuts your selection a lot. You also need to determine if you need/want docsis 3 support.

koolx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012

hi bill.. i need one with a cable modem and DOCSIS 2.0. again, its got to be wifi and cheap. please let me know,.. thanks.

Seems nobody wants to sell these devices anymore. The model I used to use you can only get used and the current ones are well over $100.

The magic thing to search for is "cable modem gateway" . Mostly you will find motorola surfboard stuff.

I suspect you are going to be better off buy a separate modem and router. Still the modem is most likely going to run you at least $50.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
Time warner does supply a modem but you have to pay a "rental fee". Only certain routers work with time warner. Actually, all should, but time warner has a "authorized modem" page here: i cant find the link. funny, i was just there. I copied the list however. Here it is.

Turbo, Extreme and Ultimate Service Plans

Vendor Model
Motorola SBG6580
Motorola SB6141
Motorola SB6121
Netgear CG3000D
Netgear CMD31T
Zoom 5352
Zoom 5350
Zoom 5341J
ZyXEL CDA-30360

Lite, Basic and Standard Service Plans
Vendor Model
Motorola SBG6580
Motorola SB6141
Motorola SB6121
Motorola SB5101
Motorola SB5101U
Motorola SBG901
Netgear CG3000D
Netgear CMD31T
Zoom 5352
Zoom 5350
Zoom 5341J
ZyXEL CDA-30360

The reason that they are split up is because of the speeds. It really shouldn't matter, but again, Time Warner wants more money, and they force you to buy certain routers for certain plans.