Your question

Will I be OKAY? Slow Internet

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Internet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
December 23, 2012 11:25:01 PM

Another INterenet question. If im installing Window 8 on a New computer build do i need to have internet? This is done from downloading upgrade form other computer > convert to usb > put USB in to new clean, nothing on computer.

I just bought a really ncie gaming build that i will be assembling soon:
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 mid
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Gigabyte Windforce HD 7950 3gb
CORSAIR TX750 (in case i add two gpu's)
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard
Intel i5-3570K

I have chosen not to buy a optical drive because everything is off of steam now. But I have an extremely slow internet (3.5mb/s).
-So would i have better luck with ignoring steam and only using hard copies of games and downloadding them through an optical drive??
-Will 3.5mb/s be quick enough for high action gaming?
-Would it worth running an ethernet cable through my house (75ftish) to insure the best connection and latency possible? opposed to a PCI wifi card?

More about : slow internet

December 23, 2012 11:48:27 PM

An Ethernet connection would be more reliable and the fastest choice if feasible, although wireless can work well if you don't have too much interference. You Internet speed will be fine for gaming, just a bit slow to download the files initially. Just let them download overnight.
m
l
December 24, 2012 12:44:46 AM

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2012 5:58:56 PM

Does my MOtherboard come with an ethernet port?
m
l
December 24, 2012 6:01:35 PM

Yes, it is on the back plate next to the blue VGA adapter, and just above two USB 3 ports.

You will need to install the LAN driver if you haven't yet. Download the latest Realtek Ethernet driver for your Windows version, this would be the one for Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit): http://www.msi.com/service/download/driver-2697.html
m
l
December 30, 2012 12:15:53 AM

Another INterenet question. If im installing Window 8 on a New computer build do i need to have internet? This is done from downloading upgrade form other computer > convert to usb > put USB in to new clean, nothing on computer.
m
l
December 30, 2012 1:42:58 PM

No, Internet is not essential, but helpful of course. The biggest issue will be getting updates. You can do a telephone activation with Microsoft.

Personally, I am holding off on Windows 8 -- I see too many people with driver and other issues that will take some time to go away. I run one copy as a virtual machine in VMWare, which has not had issues, but I'm also just not ready for the interface change. Being old school, my Windows 7 still looks as close to Win 95 as it can. :) 
m
l
!