Your question

Block port range windows

Tags:
  • Windows Server 2008
  • Torrent
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
February 22, 2013 4:50:47 PM

can someone please help me i been at this for days, im trying to limit the bittorrent traffic by using ipsec or windows firewall. i am using a windows server 2008 machine and i want to block a range of ports like "60000-65000" without have to input each port. i am having no luck at all. i can block single specific ports but i cannot block a range of ports. i notice that bittorrent starts at udp 6----- and if it cannot establish a connection it switches to a tcp connection. i must be missing something simple. im going to continue to try things until someone see this. thankyou!!

More about : block port range windows

February 22, 2013 5:09:22 PM

anyone got any ideas? is this post in the wrong place?!
m
l
February 22, 2013 5:37:36 PM

hello? anyone?
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
February 22, 2013 5:44:50 PM

Ummm, don't use bittorrent. Why are you using bittorrent but don't want to let it connect to anything. I don't get it.
m
l
February 22, 2013 5:53:29 PM

i use utorrent to transfer huge iso's through out my lan so i can limit the bandwidth i want to make sure that it cannot access the "intranet" when i use wireshark i see alot of unnecessary incoming connections to utorrent, all i want to know is how to block a "RANGE" of ports within windows as i dont want to enter 10000 ports seperatly
m
l
February 22, 2013 6:30:51 PM

or how to block utorrent from internet permanetly, i like using it because if i start a 200 gb transfer and it gets interupted it starts off right where it was. im against stealing peoples work but it seems utorrent or bitlrod etc is the best solution for my problem, but even when its completely closed i still get a ton of incoming connections from the internet and idk why ive disable most of its features
m
l
February 22, 2013 6:54:18 PM

bump
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 22, 2013 7:16:16 PM

First bumping is against the rules.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/32691-12-read-first

just add a new firewall rule, and block the port range.

To access the firewall: Press Start -> Type in "Firewall" -> Click on "Windows Firewall With Advanced Security"

You need to configure an inbound traffic rule, like so: 1. Right click "Inbound Rules" on the left pane 2. Choose "New Rule" 3. Choose "Port" 4. Under "Specific ports" enter your port or range 5. Continue with "Next" until the end of the wizard, naming the rule when asked.

Check if your port is now accessible - you might need to restart the Windows Firewall service (under "Services").
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 22, 2013 7:49:25 PM

The only way someone could access your torrent is if it is available on a public tracker. If you don't make your torrents online, although incoming traffic is coming it, it's not accessing your files.

m
l
February 24, 2013 5:33:47 PM

i know it seems pretty self explanitory but if i configure windows firewall like that or even ipsec it does not block the range of ports i specify. i want to block utorrent from all public access and lock it down to only a few ports that i specify. i just cant seem to block the ports "range" if i set up a dumym torreny and transfer a file to one of my remote computers use a vpn to tunnle in to my sevrer and block the port wireshark says is active it will stop the transfer. but the odd things is i will only make my lan address a default tracker for a file and even if i disconnect the vpn it finds its way to my computer through my nat..??
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 24, 2013 6:12:19 PM

Use FTP. lol.
m
l
February 25, 2013 12:38:03 PM

yea but if the transfer gets interupted, power ail etc i have to satrt all over and my transfer on ftp maby like 50 GB HDD IMAGE it wil timeout while tranfsering regardless of the server rules..
m
l
!