CzeRt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
I just built a new system based on Gigabyts GA-8PE667 with P4 2.53, Corsair XMS 512MB PC3200 and GeForce4 Ti4200. And installed WD100GB HDD with WinXP from my old computer. The problem is that the Windows XP PRO won't start. For a second i see the win startup picture, but suddenly blue screen appears with this message : "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". And than reffer's me to check for viruses and using chkdsk.

If I use Safe mode or Last good known method it shows 50 lines of this: MULTI(0)DISK(O)RDISK(O)PARTITION(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\*.*
Than again the blue screen appears and system stops responding.

I'm sure that the HDD is ok. It runs in other PC.
Any ideas what's wrong?

Thanx.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I know exactly whats wrong. Your system is not working! :smile:

Things you can try.
1. Swap out the IDE cable for a different one.
2. See if booting up in safe mode works.
3. Is this a fresh install for this computer? I hope so! You just cant swap over a hard drive with an OS installed and expect it to work on a new system... I hope you wernt doing this... Please tell me you wernt...

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 12/01/02 09:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Your problem is quite simple and its solution is very straightfoward: reinstall windows xp, do not "reuse" the windows xp that was previously installed with the old motherboard. Windows is quite picky about HW settings, therefore, a fresh new install will sort things out.

/\/\ito

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
It may be a memory problem. try <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">memtest</A>

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>