Motorola V60t, can't change "My Number"

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I bought a used Motorola V60t Color and everything works normally but it
will NOT let me change the number displayed on bootup under My Number. The
"Edit" button is simply not there, though I can edit my name. Also, there is
still a welcome screen that says mLife (whatever that is) which I'd like to
get rid of. I did a Master Reset and Master Clear (both, I think) before I
set up service with Free2Go. Any ideas?

Thanks.
21 answers Last reply
More about motorola v60t change number
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    "Zoltron" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >I bought a used Motorola V60t Color and everything works normally but it
    >will NOT let me change the number displayed on bootup under My Number. The
    >"Edit" button is simply not there, though I can edit my name. Also, there
    >is still a welcome screen that says mLife (whatever that is) which I'd like
    >to get rid of. I did a Master Reset and Master Clear (both, I think) before
    >I set up service with Free2Go. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Figgered it out, man this phone has a lot of settings. It was under "MDN",
    whatever that is.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Main Directory Number.

    From:Zoltron
    me5@privacy.net

    > "Zoltron" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> I bought a used Motorola V60t Color and everything works normally
    >> but it will NOT let me change the number displayed on bootup under
    >> My Number. The "Edit" button is simply not there, though I can edit
    >> my name. Also, there is still a welcome screen that says mLife
    >> (whatever that is) which I'd like to get rid of. I did a Master
    >> Reset and Master Clear (both, I think) before I set up service with
    >> Free2Go. Any ideas? Thanks.
    >
    > Figgered it out, man this phone has a lot of settings. It was under
    > "MDN", whatever that is.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
    > Main Directory Number.
    >
    > From:Zoltron
    > me5@privacy.net
    >
    >> "Zoltron" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>> I bought a used Motorola V60t Color and everything works normally
    >>> but it will NOT let me change the number displayed on bootup under
    >>> My Number. The "Edit" button is simply not there, though I can edit
    >>> my name. Also, there is still a welcome screen that says mLife
    >>> (whatever that is) which I'd like to get rid of. I did a Master
    >>> Reset and Master Clear (both, I think) before I set up service with
    >>> Free2Go. Any ideas? Thanks.
    >>
    >> Figgered it out, man this phone has a lot of settings. It was under
    >> "MDN", whatever that is.

    Overall, I like my "worthless" Nokia 5160 better. Better reception, simpler
    controls and you can read the buttons at night. Also, the Moto's antenna
    looks like it will snap off.

    Anyone want to buy it before I list it back on eBay?

    Maybe I'll try a Nokia 8260.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    "Zoltron" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >I bought a used Motorola V60t Color and everything works normally but it
    >will NOT let me change the number displayed on bootup under My Number. The
    >"Edit" button is simply not there, though I can edit my name. Also, there
    >is still a welcome screen that says mLife (whatever that is) which I'd like
    >to get rid of. I did a Master Reset and Master Clear (both, I think) before
    >I set up service with Free2Go. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You can press; #, (your local SID), #, *, send, then it will ask you if you
    wish to program, soft key = yes, then program your new number.

    The SID for your area will be available from your local, former, ATTWS
    store.

    --
    JJ
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    BruceR wrote:
    > Main Directory Number.
    >
    > From:Zoltron
    > me5@privacy.net
    >

    >>"Zoltron" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I bought a used Motorola V60t Color and everything works normally
    >>>but it will NOT let me change the number displayed on bootup under
    >>>My Number. The "Edit" button is simply not there, though I can edit
    >>>my name. Also, there is still a welcome screen that says mLife
    >>>(whatever that is) which I'd like to get rid of. I did a Master
    >>>Reset and Master Clear (both, I think) before I set up service with
    >>>Free2Go. Any ideas? Thanks.
    >>
    >>Figgered it out, man this phone has a lot of settings. It was under
    >>"MDN", whatever that is.

    Where is that? Same as my V60i? I went through the #27#*SEND routine a
    later poster mentioned and changed the number there, but it still comes
    up with the old number when it comes on.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > hamiltonj@accesswave.ca wrote:
    >
    >>MDN = Mobile Dialable Number
    >

    > I can't find that on my phone or in the instruction book. Not available on a
    > v60i?

    The MDN is your phone's directory number - the number used to call you.

    Company website: http://JustThe.net/
    E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Steve Sobol wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    > > hamiltonj@accesswave.ca wrote:
    > >
    > >>MDN = Mobile Dialable Number
    > >
    > > I can't find that on my phone or in the instruction book. Not available on a
    > > v60i?
    >
    > The MDN is your phone's directory number - the number used to call you.

    No. The number that shows up as mine when I turn the phone on belongs to the
    previous owner, not me. I receive calls at MY number on this phone, not the
    previous owner's number. It's purely a cosmetic problem, but it sure seems
    like it ought to show MY number and not hers, but there's apparently no way to
    change it.

    Is there?

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > The number that shows up as mine when I turn the phone on
    > belongs to the previous owner, not me. I receive calls at MY
    > number on this phone, not the previous owner's number. It's
    > purely a cosmetic problem, but it sure seems like it ought to
    > show MY number and not hers, but there's apparently no way to
    > change it.
    >
    > Is there?

    That number will be stored as entry one (of three, most likely)
    in the "own numbers" SIM phonebook. Some phones give you
    access to this special SIM file, and allow you to read entries,
    or perhaps edit, add and delete entries as well. Note that the
    "own numbers" SIM book is not the usual SIM phonebook.

    If you know someone with such a phone, you could put youe SIM
    into it and update the number.

    If you're technically inclined, you may be able to edit it on
    your own phone using a serial connection and terminal emulator
    (like Hyperterminal) with these "AT" commands:

    AT+CPBS="ON"
    AT+CPBW=1,"1234567890",,"some name"

    where 1234567890 is your number, and "some name" is what you
    want to call the entry. See GSM 07.07 for details.

    John
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    George wrote:

    > Pardon my lack of knowledge, but my V60t was a TDMA phone not
    > GSM, thus no SIM, am I missing something here?

    I imagine you're absolutely right. I deleted too much context
    to show that I was replying to "The Real Bev", where a specific
    reference to v60i was made. My lookup of v60i indicated GSM.

    I should add that I have no personal experience with Motorola
    V60-series phones, but the commands I gave do work on my GSM
    phones.

    John
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    John Henderson wrote:

    > George wrote:
    >
    > > Pardon my lack of knowledge, but my V60t was a TDMA phone not
    > > GSM, thus no SIM, am I missing something here?
    >
    > I imagine you're absolutely right. I deleted too much context
    > to show that I was replying to "The Real Bev", where a specific
    > reference to v60i was made. My lookup of v60i indicated GSM.

    Nope, TDMA. No SIM.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Nope, TDMA. No SIM.

    OK, now I'm really confused.

    When I look at the V60i manual downloadable from

    http://www.starbatteries.com/mov6phowmaan.html

    it suggests that it's an AMPS/CDMA phone. Furthermore, it gives
    instructions for programming the MIN and MDN, among other
    things. By comparison,

    http://www.mindlogic.com/GSM_MOTO_v60i_DTL.shtml

    talks about the V60i GSM phone.

    Will the real V60i please stand up?

    John
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    John Henderson wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    > > Nope, TDMA. No SIM.
    >
    > OK, now I'm really confused.
    >
    > When I look at the V60i manual downloadable from
    >
    > http://www.starbatteries.com/mov6phowmaan.html
    >
    > it suggests that it's an AMPS/CDMA phone.

    Searching through the .pdf file, I found neither TDMA nor GSM. The manual
    looked the same as mine, at least as far as I was willing to compare, which
    was the first 10 pages or so.

    > Furthermore, it gives
    > instructions for programming the MIN and MDN, among other
    > things. By comparison,
    >
    > http://www.mindlogic.com/GSM_MOTO_v60i_DTL.shtml
    >
    > talks about the V60i GSM phone.

    Clearly, and the picture looks like my phone. Perhaps there are two different
    versions, but Motorola uses the same number? If not, I'd be pretty suspicious
    of anything else at that site.

    > Will the real V60i please stand up?

    1. I'm using AT&T/Callplus/Pharos prepaid. I call out, people call in.
    Gotta be TDMA.
    2. The booklet that came with the phone says "Model V60i, TDMA,
    SJJN491blablabla" on the cover.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    Motorola built the v60t as a TDMA phone and the v60c as a CDMA phone
    then about a year later released an improved version named v60i (i for
    improved?). I know as I owned both the 't' then the 'i' as an ATT TDMA
    customer. Both the TDMA and CDMA versions were called v60i. Just to
    keep things interesting, they then released a GSM version too! Hope this
    clears up some confusion.

    From:The Real Bev
    bashley@myrealbox.com

    > John Henderson wrote:
    >>
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nope, TDMA. No SIM.
    >>
    >> OK, now I'm really confused.
    >>
    >> When I look at the V60i manual downloadable from
    >>
    >> http://www.starbatteries.com/mov6phowmaan.html
    >>
    >> it suggests that it's an AMPS/CDMA phone.
    >
    > Searching through the .pdf file, I found neither TDMA nor GSM. The
    > manual looked the same as mine, at least as far as I was willing to
    > compare, which was the first 10 pages or so.
    >
    >> Furthermore, it gives
    >> instructions for programming the MIN and MDN, among other
    >> things. By comparison,
    >>
    >> http://www.mindlogic.com/GSM_MOTO_v60i_DTL.shtml
    >>
    >> talks about the V60i GSM phone.
    >
    > Clearly, and the picture looks like my phone. Perhaps there are two
    > different versions, but Motorola uses the same number? If not, I'd
    > be pretty suspicious of anything else at that site.
    >
    >> Will the real V60i please stand up?
    >
    > 1. I'm using AT&T/Callplus/Pharos prepaid. I call out, people call
    > in. Gotta be TDMA.
    > 2. The booklet that came with the phone says "Model V60i, TDMA,
    > SJJN491blablabla" on the cover.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Bev
    > There are 10 types of geek in this world,
    > those who understand binary and those who don't.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    In article <EpXLe.801$Q82.466@tornado.socal.rr.com>, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> writes:
    > Motorola built the v60t as a TDMA phone and the v60c as a CDMA phone
    > then about a year later released an improved version named v60i (i for
    > improved?).

    I would presume i fo iDen (the Nextel transmission setup).
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    BruceR wrote:
    > Motorola built the v60t as a TDMA phone and the v60c as a CDMA phone
    > then about a year later released an improved version named v60i (i for
    > improved?). I know as I owned both the 't' then the 'i' as an ATT TDMA
    > customer. Both the TDMA and CDMA versions were called v60i. Just to
    > keep things interesting, they then released a GSM version too! Hope this
    > clears up some confusion.

    ....<clip.....>

    And wasn't that version known as V60g?? Seems their banding nomenclature
    tells the whole story. Is the V60g compatible with todays systems? (as
    it was about 3 or 4 years ago it was introduced.

    George Vigneron
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    I don't think so as the 'i' was offered in both TDMA and CDMA flavors. I
    don't believe it was offered as an iDEN phone since it doesn't have the
    walkie-talkie function.

    From:Larry Kilgallen
    Kilgallen@SpamCop.net

    > In article <EpXLe.801$Q82.466@tornado.socal.rr.com>, "BruceR"
    > <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> writes:
    >> Motorola built the v60t as a TDMA phone and the v60c as a CDMA phone
    >> then about a year later released an improved version named v60i (i
    >> for improved?).
    >
    > I would presume i fo iDen (the Nextel transmission setup).
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    John Henderson wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >

    >>Nope, TDMA. No SIM.
    >

    > OK, now I'm really confused.
    >
    > When I look at the V60i manual downloadable from
    >
    > http://www.starbatteries.com/mov6phowmaan.html
    >
    > it suggests that it's an AMPS/CDMA phone.

    There were CDMA, TDMA *and* GSM versions of the i, if I recall correctly.

    Company website: http://JustThe.net/
    E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > OK, now that you guys have that settled, does anybody know the
    > answer to my original question:

    Not me, there's no TDMA here in Australia.

    But I did come across a discussion where someone else is
    apparently trying to do something similar:

    http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/503709-1.html

    If nothing else, it might suggest some terms to put into a
    google search.

    John
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    "The Real Bev" <bashley@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > OK, now that you guys have that settled, does anybody know the
    > answer to my
    > original question:

    Does your phone Setup have a Welcome Screen option? This is where
    you can personalize the startup screen on many phones. It might be
    buried in the Text Messaging submenu.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    >Bingo, thanks! I changed the NAM...MIN from what it was to a new number and
    >it said fine, no problem, but when I turned the phone on again it immediately
    >displayed the old number as 'My Number'. Much cryptic stuff in there, what
    >should I look for?
    >
    >I'm playing on a spare phone, incidentally. If I foul it up there's less
    >damage done than if I were doing it to my real phone.
    >
    >Know how to get rid of the annoying little tune that plays when you turn it on
    >or off? Pushing the volume buttons doesn't do anything.

    Between the programming menu and something that displays a "Welcome
    Banner" type thing, I don't know how to change the number. As for the
    tune it plays when you start it up and turn it off...I don't think there
    is a way to get rid of that other than advanced programming, which you'd
    have to get a cable and try at your own risk. On my old phone, I think
    setting it to silent made it quiet, but you'd have to do that all the
    time just to turn off.

    TH
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    > Bingo, thanks! I changed the NAM...MIN from what it was to a new number
    and
    > it said fine, no problem, but when I turned the phone on again it
    immediately
    > displayed the old number as 'My Number'. Much cryptic stuff in there,
    what
    > should I look for?
    >
    > I'm playing on a spare phone, incidentally. If I foul it up there's less
    > damage done than if I were doing it to my real phone.
    >
    > Know how to get rid of the annoying little tune that plays when you turn
    it on
    > or off? Pushing the volume buttons doesn't do anything.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Bev

    Bev,

    That number is not the "old" number of the previous owner of the phone. That
    is the number that is used to "find" the phone and make it ring in this day
    and age of number portability. You have your dialable number (MDN) and what
    is referred to as the MIN. The MIN is what you are seeing as your number. Do
    what I did. Go into the programming again ( Menu 073887*, security code
    000000, never change this) and make sure that you do not change the MIN,
    leave it alone or your phone will not ring or even work. Make the MDN
    (mobile dialable number) your number (this is why you saw that other number
    as your number as it was blank).

Motorola