Recording from Line In and Mike Ports at Once

Last response: in Home Audio
November 20, 2004 11:32:54 PM

I've got a bog-standard soundcard with the standard line in and
microphone ports. I'd like to record off them both at once, but can't
work out how to do it.

Is this possible, and if so, how? I'd prefer not to shell out AU$400
for a proper multiple input soundcard...
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 7:46:21 AM

On 20 Nov 2004 20:32:54 -0800, matturn@gmail.com (matt cook) wrote:

>I've got a bog-standard soundcard with the standard line in and
>microphone ports. I'd like to record off them both at once, but can't
>work out how to do it.

Do you want to have a stereo recording that has all these inputs,
or do you want to record four separate channels?

If just stereo, on most cards you can control the line and mic
input mix. Double-click your speaker icon (you ARE running MS Windows,
aren't you?), on the volume control menu go to options, properties.
Click on recording. Makes sure the Line In and Microphone selections
are checked. Click OK and it displays a recording mixer with those
inputs as sliders.

>Is this possible, and if so, how? I'd prefer not to shell out AU$400
>for a proper multiple input soundcard...

It appears you want four separate channels. There's that Turtle
Beach Santa Cruz four-input consumer-grade (as in inexpensive) card,
go look for it...

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 2:02:53 PM

In article <2fd338e.0411202032.75274170@posting.google.com> matturn@gmail.com writes:

> I've got a bog-standard soundcard with the standard line in and
> microphone ports. I'd like to record off them both at once, but can't
> work out how to do it.

Most of them aren't built that way. Why not just pick up an
inexpensive mixer and connect its output to your sound card's line
input. Even the cheapest mixer will give you better results with a
microphone than the mic input on even the best built-in sound card,
and you'll have a nice headphone amplifier to monitor the mix that
you're recording.

How's Behringer over there? Something like the UB802 ($50 in the US)
should do fine for you.

November 23, 2004 8:36:15 PM

mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1101042633k@trad>...

> How's Behringer over there? Something like the UB802 ($50 in the US)
> should do fine for you.

They're fine. I've already got one as part of the setup :)

I was just looking for more post-production options, and to make it
easier to experiment with quadraphonic or 5.1 recordings ;)
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 10:36:39 PM

Ben Bradley <ben_nospam_bradley@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<d170q0t3pv10u9su65bme7gcg5r3leev8g@4ax.com>...

> It appears you want four separate channels. There's that Turtle
> Beach Santa Cruz four-input consumer-grade (as in inexpensive) card,
> go look for it...

Thanks for that. It looks like a good card for my purposes. It turns
out it's marketed as the Videologic SonicFury here. And it turns out
that no-one is selling new ones here any more. I'll see if I can find
one second hand.

Also, I've discovered you can solder a sound card analog CD cable to
the audio jack of your choice. I might do that instead.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 9:05:46 PM

matturn@gmail.com (matt cook) wrote in message news:<2fd338e.0411231936.bd562ff@posting.google.com>...
> Ben Bradley <ben_nospam_bradley@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<d170q0t3pv10u9su65bme7gcg5r3leev8g@4ax.com>...
>
> > It appears you want four separate channels. There's that Turtle
> > Beach Santa Cruz four-input consumer-grade (as in inexpensive) card,
> > go look for it...
>
> Thanks for that. It looks like a good card for my purposes. It turns
> out it's marketed as the Videologic SonicFury here. And it turns out
> that no-one is selling new ones here any more. I'll see if I can find
> one second hand.
>
> Also, I've discovered you can solder a sound card analog CD cable to
> the audio jack of your choice. I might do that instead.

I've now realised that the software side of things might be harder to
fix than the hardware one. What software allows you to record
different channels from different devices?
!