Locturian

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Hi!

I've got a problem... I'm thinking about upgrading my computer... Well, actually, the money is burning in my pockets :p

I want to by something fast, so I don't fell like my computer is slow, in like 6 months... And I would really like to buy DDR400 (PC3200) ram cause the price is fair. But, I can't find ANY motherboard that supports it, and at the same time, gives a fair performance. I've read in several articles, that DDR400 ram, are slower than DDR2700 ram, when put in test. So, does anyone know of a GOOD motherboard, that supports DDR400, and performs well ?

The alternativ, would be to buy RD1066 rams, but it's so darn expensive... So, help me out ? :)

/Best Regards, Locturian

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
AFAIK, there are no motherboards that officially support DDR400. But several chipset are able to.
Are you going for AMD or Intel CPU???
For the P4, the SIS648 is an exellent chipset that can run DDR400 memory.
Current AMD CPUs doesnt run much faster with DDR400 memory. This may be what was meant in the articles you refer to.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Gigabyte GA-8SG667 is probably the fastest DDR board for the P4, and supports DDR400.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
. But, I can't find ANY motherboard that supports it,

That normal that is not a official standart from Jedec and it unstable memory that run in signal integrity.

Now what to do??

Peter_Kanchev

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002
There is a MB for AMD, supporting DDR400 OFFICIALLY - GIGABYTE 7VAX. It supports it without any problems...
I have this board and i am really satisfied with it.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Peter, give me your system specs, please.

Just the components, off the top of your head, if you would.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I'd like to tack on a similar question: does the amount of memory matter in terms of whether or not it will function properly? For example, I've read a few times that the GA-8SG667 supports certain brands of PC3200. They list the Corsair XMS variety, but only in 256MB size. Was this all that was available at the time of printing, or will 512MB sticks cause problems running at 400MHz?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good question! The answer is...I don't know! I'd say it's worth the risk, because if you find out it doesn't work right, you can always send it back.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>