Yet Another Service Manual Request (Sony PCM-501)

Last response: in Home Audio
November 21, 2004 10:45:51 AM

Sigh . . . Yeah, I know, Sony Parts Department. Nobody seems to ever
have the patience to get through any more.

Does someone have a service manual for the PCM-501 to lend, or at
least a schematic? The meters on mine are intermittent - probably a
bad capacitor or solder joint or IC or sumthin' in the audio driver.
The "Tracking" mode always works, sometimes one channel meter
indicates audio, sometimes both channels, sometimes neither channel,
doesn't matter if it's input or playback.

Probably something simple if I just knew where to look.

And, yes, I really do use the 501, so don't suggest that I just use a
computer for recording.

November 21, 2004 8:06:59 PM

In article <znr1101002018k@trad>, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

> Sigh . . . Yeah, I know, Sony Parts Department. Nobody seems to ever
> have the patience to get through any more.
>
> Does someone have a service manual for the PCM-501 to lend, or at
> least a schematic? The meters on mine are intermittent - probably a
> bad capacitor or solder joint or IC or sumthin' in the audio driver.
> The "Tracking" mode always works, sometimes one channel meter
> indicates audio, sometimes both channels, sometimes neither channel,
> doesn't matter if it's input or playback.
>
> Probably something simple if I just knew where to look.
>
> And, yes, I really do use the 501, so don't suggest that I just use a
> computer for recording.

I'm pretty sure I have the manual (and possibly an extra copy) at work.
I'll look Monday and let you know.

-Jay
November 21, 2004 8:07:00 PM

In article <jay-54DBED.09045121112004@news1.west.earthlink.net> jay@ccrma.stanford.edu writes:

> I'm pretty sure I have the manual (and possibly an extra copy) at work.
> I'll look Monday and let you know.

Thanks.

As a follow-up, I found a web site for Treasure Chest Corp (New
Jersey) who apparently develops manuals for electronic equipment. They
have a service manual listed for the PCM-501 and it's $17, which is
certainly a fair price. Anyone have experience with this compay
(Treasure Chest, not Sony) and know what their manuals are like? I'll
proabably give them a call next week. If it's the actual manual that
they wrote for Sony I'm sure it's easier ordering from them and about
the same price as ordering from Sony. If it's a half-assed aftermarket
manual like some I've seen for cars I've owned, I'll pass. (though I
don't expect them to tell me that it's half-assed)

November 22, 2004 10:32:08 AM

Jay Kadis <jay@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article <znr1101002018k@trad>, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
> wrote:
>
> > Sigh . . . Yeah, I know, Sony Parts Department. Nobody seems to ever
> > have the patience to get through any more.
> >
> > Does someone have a service manual for the PCM-501 to lend, or at
> > least a schematic? The meters on mine are intermittent - probably a
> > bad capacitor or solder joint or IC or sumthin' in the audio driver.
> > The "Tracking" mode always works, sometimes one channel meter
> > indicates audio, sometimes both channels, sometimes neither channel,
> > doesn't matter if it's input or playback.
> >
> > Probably something simple if I just knew where to look.
> >
> > And, yes, I really do use the 501, so don't suggest that I just use a
> > computer for recording.
> >

> I'm pretty sure I have the manual (and possibly an extra copy) at work.
> I'll look Monday and let you know.
>
> -Jay

Well, I have 2 copies of the 701 service manual, but all I have on the 501 is
the operator's manual.

-Jay
November 22, 2004 6:22:22 PM

In article <jay-CE1999.07320822112004@news.stanford.edu> jay@ccrma.stanford.edu writes:

> Well, I have 2 copies of the 701 service manual, but all I have on the 501 is
> the operator's manual.

Thanks for checking. I suspect that while the circuitry might be
similar, when it comes to component location, it will be different
enough not to be of much help. I probably have an operator's manual,
but in any case, I don't need it.