SSID Broadcast has to be enabled on router...?

Did I read somewhere that this is is a know issue? I
just purchased a MN-510 that will not connect to my
router unless the SSID is broadcast. I didn't sign up
for creating a huge security hole in my network... If
this is a know issue, when can we expect a fix?? I use
two other brand wireless adapters that don't require this
and would expect the same from Microsoft hardware...

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

It used to work before the most recent upgrade to the MN-
500 series hardware... so I really don't understand why
it has become so difficult to get it working again.

I believe you need to call MS support to file a
complaint, or post a message to hnbugs@microsoft...

Anyway, even without SSID broadcasting on, it easy to
locate and break a wireless 802.11b network even with WEP
on (and that may explain the low priority for fixing the
SSID broadcast). The problem with WEP is not a MS
problem, but a flaw on the WEP standard itself.

To improve security most of us have MAC filtering turned
on (or switched to 802.11g). On my MN-500 network segment
I simply turned ICF on all machines and use a VPN between
them (which may be a bit overkill).

I did some experimenting and found that I can turn off the
Broadcast SSID and the adapter will stay connected - it is
only required in the creation of the connection. The
problem comes when a reboot of the system occurs, the
conenction will not be re-estabilshed. I think a part of
the problem is that the driver doesn't like having a null
value in the SSID. When the BN wizard is searching for
systems it sees it just fine, just isn't happy that there
isn't a name. Funny as it seems windows (XP) is handling
my setting and on a similiar device (with windows also
handling the settings) from another company it works.
Sounds more like a driver issue than a firmware issue...

Just some observations...

Dustin

Is there a solution for not broadcasting SSID? Did I
just waste my money on a Microsoft product...

>I did some experimenting and found that I can turn off
the
>Broadcast SSID and the adapter will stay connected - it
is
>only required in the creation of the connection. The
>problem comes when a reboot of the system occurs, the
>conenction will not be re-estabilshed. I think a part
of
>the problem is that the driver doesn't like having a
null
>value in the SSID. When the BN wizard is searching for
>systems it sees it just fine, just isn't happy that
there
>isn't a name. Funny as it seems windows (XP) is
handling
>my setting and on a similiar device (with windows also
>handling the settings) from another company it works.
>Sounds more like a driver issue than a firmware issue...
>
>Just some observations...

Rumor is that a firmware update may correct this in the
future. My take on it is that I am not holding my
breath... Funny thing is that a friend of mine just
upgraded to a MN-700 and under the wireless settings there
is the option to not broadcast SSID - which is somewhat
hilarious as that would result in having some of their own
MS BN) devices being unable to connect to it...

SK