Sign in with
Your question

Vortex 2 or TBSC

Last response: in Components
December 2, 2002 3:02:23 PM

I bought my system last December and got WinXP Home in hopes that I could drop my Vortex 2 in with XP's native driver support. The card worked for 1 day and then no sound. After a few reinstalls of the card and XP I gave up and got the Santa Cruz. This was back in January. Now, I love the sound quality of the SC but I really loved that Vortex and A3D. I have since found sites, including some posts in here, of how to get the Vortex working under XP using wpcredit, etc. My question is, do you suppose it's still worth trying to get the Vortex to work or should I leave well enough alone?
I'm using a digital 4.1 speaker set up so I could still take advantage of that with the Vortex. I play games and music quite a lot so I want to be able to get the most out of them. Are games still widely supporting A3D 1.0? I haven't paid close attention since I made the switch. If so I imagine the Vortex would still reproduce it the best.
System specs: xp1700+ (oc'd to 1900+) shuttle ak31 rev3.1 kt266a mobo, 512 ddr 266, gf3 ti200, wd 800jb.

"It's my sexy zoo and I can do whatever I want." - Frank O'Hara

More about : vortex tbsc

December 2, 2002 7:27:13 PM

No sound is most likely the fault of your chipset, the same chipset that couldn't handle the Creative Live (and in fact caused hard drive corruption when used with the Live). An OS can't fix that (my Vortex2 works perfectly under Win98SE on an Intel chipset).

Yes you can get it to work. Try doing that on another system, something with a quality motherboard. The fact that it's even a decent board is a credit towards the manufacturer's ability to polish turds.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 2, 2002 8:29:12 PM

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it, but I won't be building another system for quite some time. I do have a 98se system but it's a pII 233 w/a voodoo3 2000 pci video card - no agp slot and not exactly capable of gaming anymore. It seemed a waste to let the vortex sit in there so I wanted to get some opinions about making this work with what I have. I'm hesitant about editing the registry to make the Vortex work in case I decide to go back to the SC. And as I said I love the Santa Cruz as it is.

"It's my sexy zoo and I can do whatever I want." - Frank O'Hara
December 3, 2002 6:15:42 AM

Well, you could put the nice old card in the old machine and at least get good music from it!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
!