Sign in with
Your question

What is the best speakers for this configuration..

Last response: in Components
December 2, 2002 7:32:08 PM

Please can you help me to choose the speakers for the Creative Live 5.1! sound card. Basic needs: to listen to music like Punk and other styles like classical and rock'n'roll thats about 80% and to play games 20% of the time.

My computer configuration:

P4 2200 Mhz
512 Kb Set associative cache L2
512 DDR 333 RAM
OS Windows 2000 (I have rejected XP for stability reason)

Other software in use (For compatibility):
Office XP, Visual Studio .NET (For development)

As of right now I use OG3000 Subwoofer thats 1 woofer + 2 speakers and another speaker set with 1 main speaker and 2 sattelites.

I think this is still not 5.1 configuration though because /woofer + 2 speakers/ is plugged into one whole in the sound card and the other /main speaker + 2 small speakers/ are plugged in to other whole.

So what is the best thing to do?

-=I will always be against=-

More about : speakers configuration

December 5, 2002 3:38:39 AM

For listening to punk and Rock n Roll you need a system that puts out some volume since the music is heavily compressed.

For classical and Jazz, midrange is very important. Also both have a larger dyanamic range and not as compressed as
rock.

What is a OG3000 subwoofer and what type of main and rear speakers are you using?

Also I am confused on your setup. You are using two different soundcards? I would think just using the SB live would be best for your system. You have enough speakers for
5.1 system, maybe take one of your mains to a center channel, very important for movies.

Personally in my case I use my home stereo 6.1 also for my gaming/movies/listening to music. My computer is hooked up to this system. In most cases the speakers and electronics will be better. Plus you do not have to have separtate setups. Even a second stereo system using a 5.1 receiver and some decent home speakers will be good. You would be surprised how cheap you pickup a decent consumer type receiver.

In Reality for music listening, especially for jazz and classical you need quality stuff for a good sound.
I like your range of music. I also listen to everything from
punk to classic!

A tip to find good stereo stuff, try the used market. Many used stereo stores will let you upgrade the equipment as you go. For example, you buy a used amp for $200.00 and they give you a one year upgrade cycle so you can turn that amp in for $200.00 worth of credit. Most of these stores have very informed people, music is their hobby and will be happy to give advice. They usually also sell mid to high end new equipment. You do not really need to run out to the big box store to buy stereo equipment. You can buy quality used
components for the same price and they will hold their value
or buy the consumer type stuff at the used store for cheap.

I am a stereo hobbyist, to vintage to fairly new. If you shop around their is alot of great stuff around. I suggest looking for your local used/new store for quality components and great advice. Sorry if slightly off topic!

Regards,
the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
December 5, 2002 7:32:58 AM

i would suggest logitech z560. loud, clear, cheap...
Related resources
December 5, 2002 3:56:01 PM

Quote:
I also listen to everything from
punk to classic!

Amen to that! I find few other people with music tastes as broad as mine, so it's nice to see someone with a wide selection of music types they listen to.

I tend to listen to a lot of... well I don't know what to call it. Sort of metal-ish hard rock, like System of a Down and Rammstein, but just the other day I picked up a piece from the opera Carmina Burana (probably misspelled that) and listened to that!

Having a wide spectrum of music types is fun.

Apologies for this being a bit off topic, I just really wanted to comment on that :smile: .

-Col.Kiwi
December 6, 2002 12:42:27 AM

My 2 cents:
Windows XP is far more stable than Windows 2000. And it has much more multimedia capabilities than W2k.

What problems did you have with Win Xp?

Sincerely,

/\/\ito
December 6, 2002 1:37:53 AM

1) First of all i dont like the icons they drive me nuts i spent 5 - 6 more hours at the machine and it juuust drives m crazy the tilted icons (from the perspective of visual similarity) are not drawn right, they are tilted a bit which makes it hard to read labels if you are in a hurry and have a lot of folders.

2) My sound after installing a driver gave me a blue screen with message IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL the new creative drivers did not work properly

3) It is slower I mean responce rate as oppose to 2000. I load up my computer a lot and mostly used for development I dont need this stupid dog and all the visual styles, and its hard to do stuff you have to turn 'ON' all the as they call it advanced features.

4) The installation folder is Windows again NOT WINNT ?? what a heck is this another Win98 clone? at least i have heard XP has behavior and some components of 98 which i found to be bad, like when you want a Windows Task Manager then you press CTRL ALT DEL like in 98 ! again I hate that not CTRL SHIFT ESC

5) The colors are terrible they are screaming at you all the time and there is no way to change that! This is stupid make gree yellow all the screaming colors up front into your eyes like you are some king of kid or something!

6) Most of the principles that I have learned in college GUI class for MFC and visual design XP brakes.. like proximity user skill accomodation and stuff... too much to mention (PS good course though helped me to develop visual evaluation skills)

7) Some bugs have been reported that have not been present in NT for a while :)  here we go again WIn98!!!

8) At last I think Windows XP unfortunatly is not driven by professionalism but by consumorism@ Thats the end of that.

return <runnable_cast>(I will always be against)
December 6, 2002 1:41:03 AM

ALso most people think XP is that good like my mother and uses it to play cards :) ) this is halarious and now people say uuu its nice and pretty ... tipical consumor talk.//

I am a professonal and use all kinds of systems like UNIX on VAX and BSD on ALPHAs and other Linux Debian systems Windows 2000 Advanced Server .. and noone in the company I have worked plans! to even try XP .. cause it sucks for so many reasons I only mentioned 1/100.

Windows Development is done on Win2k as well.

December 6, 2002 1:46:34 AM

And last thing the number of bugs in the code is proportional t othe lenght of the code.

Windows 2000 - 20+ million lines
Windows XP - 40 million something

every 100 lines apprx 1 bug

40,000,000 / 100 = 400,000 bugs close to a half a million!
Thats posted by ACM somewhere and i have an article by the Associaton Of COmputing and Machinery also..

December 6, 2002 1:59:14 AM

<i>1) First of all i dont like the icons they drive me nuts i spent 5 - 6 more hours at the machine and it juuust drives m crazy the tilted icons (from the perspective of visual similarity) are not drawn right, they are tilted a bit which makes it hard to read labels if you are in a hurry and have a lot of folders.</i>

Windows XP's GUI may be run in classic mode. It's much faster.

<i>2) My sound after installing a driver gave me a blue screen with message IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL the new creative drivers did not work properly</i>

HW errors are a pain. Can't help you here.

<i>3) It is slower I mean responce rate as oppose to 2000. I load up my computer a lot and mostly used for development I dont need this stupid dog and all the visual styles, and its hard to do stuff you have to turn 'ON' all the as they call it advanced features.</i>

Again, disable the win XP interface, the original NT GUI will be activated. It's much faster.

<i>4) The installation folder is Windows again NOT WINNT ?? what a heck is this another Win98 clone? at least i have heard XP has behavior and some components of 98 which i found to be bad, like when you want a Windows Task Manager then you press CTRL ALT DEL like in 98 ! again I hate that not CTRL SHIFT ESC</i>

Never had this problem before.

<i>5) The colors are terrible they are screaming at you all the time and there is no way to change that! This is stupid make gree yellow all the screaming colors up front into your eyes like you are some king of kid or something!</i>

Original GUI interface. I agree that the new GUI is fancy.

<i>6) Most of the principles that I have learned in college GUI class for MFC and visual design XP brakes.. like proximity user skill accomodation and stuff... too much to mention (PS good course though helped me to develop visual evaluation skills).</i>

Disable xp GUI.

<i>7) Some bugs have been reported that have not been present in NT for a while :)  here we go again WIn98!!!</i>

please provide sources for this claim.

<i>8) At last I think Windows XP unfortunatly is not driven by professionalism but by consumorism@ Thats the end of that.</i>

Although I'm a Netware professional, I must state the Win XP as a desktop OS is pretty good and cool.

Good luck.

/\/\ito
December 6, 2002 5:24:25 AM

Product Activation - Change your system in any major way, and you have to call Microsoft for a new activation number otherwise your machine stops working…Nice (not!)
Built-in Instant Messaging via Windows Messenger - the default setting

No Java support - OK, I'm not a Java fan, but this is another blatant attempt by Microsoft to kill Java off before releasing it's own .NET strategy. (more to come in a future article)

No Plug-in support in the IE 6.0 browser; the final break with anything Netscape related.
Costs - expensive upgrade; not worth it for Windows 2000 users (see below)

Lack of native XP driver support
Application and hardware compatibility, Microsoft says you'll be O.K., but do you really trust them to tell you you're OK?

Memory - MS recommends 128MB, but 256 (or more) is a reality; buy memory now while it's cheap. The downward price trends won't last forever!

MSN - A great quote I heard: "Windows XP has more hooks than my grandfather's old fishing hat." Meaning? Microsoft has lots of pop-ups and roadblocks to get you to MSN-only related sites such as music, photo services and Passport (more below)

No MP3 encoding support; MS continues to push its Windows Media format.

The Ugly
The new User Interface - yes, I know I said it was part of the good stuff, but for more advanced users, the UI continues to get dumb downed with each new version of Windows. Echoes of Bob are present…

Beware! Machines with Windows XP Home Edition can't access corporate networks with Windows Servers. Don't plan on bringing your laptop to work to download those MP3s you like.

And probably the worst Ugly of Windows XP: Passport (part of MS .NET strategy); Passport is Microsoft's attempt at having all your important information stored in a central location for easy access when you go to different website. Good in theory, but in reality, do I really trust Microsoft with my personal information, including credit card info? Another thing that bothers me (repeatedly) is Windows XP asking me to sign-up for Passport telling me I need it to use IM voice chat and video (not true; only with Microsoft services). And then there is the requirement for your email address. Microsoft sponsored Spam is only seconds away after sign-up.

-----------------------------------------------------------

But while most survey respondents agree with Microsoft that XP is the most stable Windows yet, it's clearly not crashproof. Numerous survey respondents (and this author) have encountered spontaneous reboots on otherwise stable systems, even after a clean install--a problem that appears to be linked to incompatible device drivers and to third-party firewall software. Instead of locking up at the blue screen of death--the default crash scenario in Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000--Windows XP simply reboots the computer. After the reboot, XP asks your permission to upload a trouble report to Microsoft with system-state information at the time of the crash.

Microsoft's Croft says these crash reports give the company an unprecedented ability to track and iron out Windows XP's bugs. Until those bugs are squashed, if you are interested in Windows XP's clear benefits, proceed with caution. Since the only way to know exactly how well XP will support your system is to install and use it, consider dual-booting XP with your current operating system--at least until you're prepared to let your unsupported hardware go.

PCWorld
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,78073,00.asp

Enough?
(I could not find the bugs issue related to Win98 but will be looking)

Newest XP bugs

Newest Bugs...
Black Screen on Startup After You Upgrade to Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 318031 - After you upgrade your Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition-based computer to Microsoft Windows XP Professional, you may experience one or more of the following behaviors:
Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Computer After Upgrade to Windows XP
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 316506 - After you upgrade to Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional, the Chkdsk utility program runs each time that you start your computer.

Computer Automatically Restarts After You Upgrade to Windows XP
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 311466 - After you upgrade your computer (with Easy CD Creator Platinum 5.02b and the DirectCD component installed) to Windows XP, you may experience one of the following symptoms:

Computer Stops Responding When You Install Windows XP on a Computer with an i815 Chip Set Motherboard
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 282195 - When you attempt to install Microsoft Windows XP on a computer that is based on the Intel i815 chip set and has a universal serial bus (USB) keyboard and mouse attached, you may experience the following behavior:

Confusing Message About Pressing ESC to Restart Your Computer During Windows XP Setup Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 301262 - When your computer prepares to restart for the first time at the end of the first phase of Windows XP Setup (Winnt32.exe), you receive the following message that indicates that your computer will be restarted:

Data Loss May Occur After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 312368 - You may lose data that is stored in the All Users folder and you may lose default program templates and settings that are stored in the Default User folder after you reinstall, repair, or upgrade Windows XP. Also, Start menu shortcuts, items in the Startup group, and documents, pictures, or music files that are stored in the Shared Documents folder may be missing.

During Setup You Are Unable to Format a Partition with a File Allocation Table Format Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 301340 - During Setup, if you create a partition, the option to format the hard disk with a file allocation table (FAT) format is not available.

Hibernation Does Not Work on a Portable Computer After Windows XP Upgrade
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 305905 - When you install Windows XP on a portable computer whose primary partition is formatted as FAT16, the computer may no longer enter hibernation mode after you increase the random access memory (RAM) and then restart the computer.

Incorrect Keyboard Layout Detected When You Upgrade to Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 311100 - When you upgrade your operating system to Windows XP Professional, the "Canadian (French)" keyboard layout may be incorrectly changed to the "Canadian French (Legacy)" keyboard layout.

Limited OEM Driver Support Is Available with F6 During Windows XP Setup
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 314859 - When you are installing Windows XP on a new computer or on a computer that has the latest SCSI or IDE controller technology, it may be necessary to use an OEM device driver to support, for example, a new mass storage controller, to continue with the installation.

Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing After You Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 313055 - Outlook Express mail folders, e-mail messages, and Address Book are missing after you upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP.

Out of Box Experience (OOBE) Does Not Run After Setup Completes
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 289657 - After you complete Windows XP Setup, the Out of Box Experience (OOBE) does not run. OOBE is the wizard that usually runs after Setup and performs the following functions:

Passwords Are Unexpectedly Assigned to User Accounts After You Upgrade to Windows XP Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 318026 - When you upgrade or install Microsoft Windows XP, passwords may be assigned to user accounts that previously had no password or you did not assign passwords to any user accounts during the installation process. As a result, you cannot log on to the computer.

Serial Mouse Is Not Detected During Windows XP Setup
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 309800 - When you install Windows XP from a command prompt, Setup may not detect your serial mouse, but you may be able to complete Setup by using your keyboard.

Setup Error Appears During an Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me to Windows XP
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 313041 - While you are upgrading your computer from Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition (Me) to Windows XP, you may receive the following error message:

Setup Stops Responding (Hangs) During File Copy
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 296814 - When you run Setup, Setup may appear to stop responding (hang), and you may receive the following message:

The Message "You Must Be an Administrator to Run this Application" Is Displayed While Attempting to Upgrade System
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 280824 - When you attempt to upgrade your system to any of the preceding versions of Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive the following message:

Toshiba 5005 Portable Computer Stops Responding During Upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 321645 - When you try to upgrade a Toshiba Satellite 5005 series portable computer from Windows XP Home Edition (OEM version) to Windows XP Professional, the computer may stop responding (hang). This generally occurs the first time the computer restarts during Setup, at the Windows XP Professional splash screen.

VALUEADD and SUPPORT Folders Are Not Included on OEM CD-ROMs
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 311246 - If you are using a computer that an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM, such as Compaq and Hewlett-Packard) provided with a pre-installed copy of Windows XP, the Valueadd and Support folders may not exist on your hard disk or on the recovery CD-ROM that was included with your computer.

Windows Setup Detects an Installed Zip Drive as a Hard Disk
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 304776 - If you have a Zip drive installed, Windows XP Setup may incorrectly detect the Zip drive as a hard disk and assign a drive letter to the Zip drive.

You Cannot Uninstall Norton 2001 After Upgrade to Windows XP
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 315336 - When you use the Add/Remove Programs tool to uninstall Norton 2001 after you upgrade your computer to Windows XP, you may receive an error message similar to one of the following:

You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 312369 - The information in this article applies only to computers with Windows XP preinstalled by a computer manufacturer.

You Receive an Error Message from Your Firewall Client After You Upgrade to Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 328256 - If your firewall client was installed on its supported operating system and you upgrade your computer to Windows XP Professional, you may receive the following error message from the firewall client if you click the Update Now button to update the...

Your Network Adapter Does Not Work and Windows XP Does Not Include a Compatible Driver for the Network Adapter
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 315275 - After you install Windows XP or upgrade to Windows XP, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

Error Messages
"An Unexpected Error (768) Occurred at Line 5118@ind:Xp\Client\Boot\Setup\Setup.c" Error Message During Windows XP Setup
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 311562 - When you are upgrading to Windows XP, you may receive the following error message:
"An Unexpected Error Has Occurred (536821760)" Error Message When You Try to Install Windows XP
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 316400 - When you attempt to install Windows XP, the installation process may not complete successfully. Setup may stop at the beginning of the process or immediately after the first required restart, and then you receive an error message similar to

Error Message: Error = 3E6H. Setup Cannot Continue. Please Contact Microsoft Technical Support
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 311442 - When you attempt to upgrade to Windows XP, you may receive the following error message:

Error Message: Setup Cannot Set the Required Windows XP Configuration Information Q316425 -
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article After the file copy portion of Windows XP setup has been completed, you may receive an error message similar to the following: Setup can not set the required Windows XP configuration information. This indicates an internal setup error. Contact your system administrator. This issue can occur if a piece of hardware that is installed on your computer is incompatible with Windows XP.

"STOP 0x0000001E" Error Message During Windows Setup
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 314451 - When you run Windows XP Setup, you may receive an error message similar to the following:

"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message During Windows XP Upgrade
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: 297185 - You may receive the following error message when you first restart your computer during the upgrade to Windows XP:

And last why do you think XP can run programs that 2000 couldnt? but ran fine in 98 ?? because it is partly 98 which is crap. :) ) no offence

December 17, 2002 5:04:32 AM

When did you get fired?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
December 17, 2002 5:41:58 AM

Yes, a little off topic, but so many people are locked into one type of music. Good music is good music, it does not always depend on a style. My range of tastes are big, but do not generally like Top 40 type music. Music that is made to make money, not for the art of it.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
December 17, 2002 11:55:12 PM

How can you distrust a company that is so "upfront" with its shortcomings? I use the latest OS from Microsoft because it is the world standard. The overall value to a computer dominated world is the ability to be understood via a common OS whether in China or Mozambique. It`s as Bill Gates stated all those years ago..."There will be only one OS". Whether you love or hate Microsoft will not change the inevitable consequence of its domination, for convienience sake if nothing else. I have no problem with Microsoft packaging anything it chooses with their OS. Why would I choose another mail program other than Outlook Express for at best, a marginal gain in any area just to spite Microsoft? Same can be said for their browser....yet these items, included with the OS, are brought to investigation by PC "dog and pony show" congressmen with nothing better to do than investigate the most successful business in US history for its success. Cries of Microsoft being "unfair" ring hollow when compared to the "value added" factors of the OS. Understand...what is transpiring is nothing more than a "one world order" with Microsoft as common interpreter. What have you to fear other than a loss of choice of the computer OS used? How is one standard OS developed into something to fear? Seems to me the corporate greed others accuse Microsoft of is at work in the opposition who see their best attempts at stopping the jugernaut foiled repeatedly by consumer apathy toward their revised products..hence..the need to stir the pot with aqusation and litigation. Microsoft...like all better business, is a work in progress. The improvements in their software keep coming. Perfection exists only in the mind for those who stop achieving. Microsoft is a successful american company...why should they apologize and be penalized for that success?

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.
December 19, 2002 11:55:29 AM

i think outlook and IE are probley some of the best applications for their category.. For browsing i tried many things like netscape and some other's i've downloaded.. they blow compared to Internet Explorer..

And outlook just the same.. it's a good prog

This Community is like a Second Family!!
December 19, 2002 7:39:35 PM

I would suggest Klipsch 5.1.
!