USB / PS2?

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I'm on the verge of buying a new system, and I've noticed newer keyboards and mice offer both types of connection. Other than the phasing-out of PS2 ports, does USB offer any kind of advantage over PS2 for these connections? Thanks.

Foxhound

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
hmm.. just a comment.. not sure how true is this... but i noticed that PS/2 is smoother than USB on my system. sometimes when the precessor and system is loading a lot of stuff(probably leading to heavy I/Os) the USB tend to lag or not respond until the loading has decreased. But i don't notice any such thing when using PS/2.

it could just because my system is a laptop. *shrugs*

any experts care to dispel this?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I have a logitech dual optical mouse that support both USB and PS/2. I use it in the PS2 port. When I enter the device setup, I get the following message:

<i>The mouse is connected to the PS/2 port, which may not support the full 800 dpi resolution on this product. To maximize your performance, it is recommended to use the USB port</i>

To me, this is plain gibberish. I see nothing in the PS/2 port that limits the resolution. I have tried both ports and am unable to detect any difference.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IMO USB is more likely to experience lag under heavy system usage than PS/2, probably because many configurations share the IRQ for USB with another device.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Interesting... any idea why the newer models offer USB connections rather than PS2. Perhaps a possibility for performance increases via USB that don't exist in current products?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are several reasons, like the ability to connect several devices (like, say, a mouse and a handheld trackball for presentations, or a fullsized keyboard and a small portable for the couch), the fact that some laptops don't have a PS/2 port, or the fact that companies are trying to phase out PS/2 to cut design/manufacturing cost of boards/chipsets.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The biggest problem I've seen with USB is laggy performance when the IRQ is shared. If they REALLY wanted to get rid of PS/2, they should give IRQ1 to the USB controller instead of the keyboard controller, and use IRQ12 for another onboard device.