Radeon 9700 (without the pro)

Nosugref

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2002
I saw the review about the 9700 with out the pro Radeon, but I can't find it anywhere on the market, the closest i came was a power color 9700 gold. Isn't ati going to make a radeon 9700? If you have found one tell me where.

Thanks,
Devin

Ferguson@magiccablepc.com

Frisbee

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Hi;

In the article about the new 9500 Pro, THG states that ATI will only make cards based on the "PRO"-versions of its own chips. So the non-pro versions will only be sold by other manufacturers, such as Hercules.

So ATI itself won't make video cards with the non-pro chips, providing the info in THG's review of the 9500Pro is correct of course.

If you're wondering what make to buy, I can only tell you that I've had very good experiences with Hercules.
But if you live outside Europe, I don't know if you will find Hercules cards.

Hope this helped you to make your buying decision!

Greetings from Belgium;
Carl

Nosugref

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2002
I do live in the U.S. However getting hercules cards isn't a problem but rather I couldn't find where they made a 9700, the only ones I have found are gigabyte and power color. I have no problem with buying a gigabyte card but i can't find them in any searches using google or pricewatch. I did find 2 power color cards for $275, but the name just sounds kinda fishy, I am kinda weary of them unless they build the cards to ati specs or use a reference board from ati to build it. Also would they have specialized drivers so that i couldn't run catalyst drivers or do the catalyst work for all radeon 9700's.

Frisbee

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Power Color is okay. Not well known, I know, but I would trust them.
They worked closely together with ST to make, distribute and sell the Kyro 1 and Kyro 2 videochips,
so it is not a s*?t company.

The 9700 and 9700Pro are very new, so it may take another week before you will find the Hercules ones.
Hercules is a European (French) company now, so they may send the first batches to EU distributors and then serve the US.
They HAVE launched a 9700-based card, you can check here:
http://europe.hercules.com/index_products.php?t=1

So I think you may have to wait for another couple of days before you will find the Hercules card. And yes, Hercules builds to ATI specs.

Hope this helps.
Carl

Nosugref

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2002
Your right Hercules does have one. They just don't have it on the US site yet for some reason. Thanks for the help.

Nosugref

Frisbee

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Patience...patience...
I'm certain that they will sell in in the US too.
It's not Christmas yet, so you still have some time.

Carl