Tags:
  • Routers
  • IP
  • Internet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
December 25, 2012 6:35:53 PM

Hello guys,

I have FTP server in my home LAN network and I'd like to share it on the internet to access files from anywhere in the world. The problem is, I don't know which IP address is the right one (port forwarding and other related stuff is set in the router settings and it works well within my network). The thing is, that I don't know which IP address is the public internet address assigned to my router and reachable from anywhere from the world. When I go to IP check sites, there is IP #1 - 60.220.etc, in my routers settings I can see IP #2 - 10.220.etc (WAN IP - different from the IP #1) and the FTP server has static LAN IP 192.168.etc. Which of the first 2 IPs is accesible from the internet ? Neither one works for me if I try to connect to them through my mobile phone internet (different provider). I assume that the IP #1 is IP of some main router for my city and IP #2 is assigned to me by some smaller router for my area, but how can I use any of them to forward to my router ? Do I have to pay for static IP to my ISP ?

Thanks for reading and answers !

Adam

More about : finding public

December 25, 2012 7:07:53 PM

Try using DDNS
December 25, 2012 7:13:56 PM

but how ? I need to know my IP to use DDNS and my PC is not accessible from either of them, DDNS is just a name for my IP, isn't it ?
Related resources
December 25, 2012 7:56:06 PM

If your wan IP your router sees is a 10 address then you likely cannot use a server of any kind in your house. You need a real address dedicated to you. If you are sharing a real address with multiple other people then the ISP would have to port forward to you. I would suspect if you are sharing a real address they will not do that.

Most likely the ISP will give you a real address if you pay them for it.
December 25, 2012 8:37:46 PM

do you have a modem?
December 27, 2012 1:37:43 AM

amozonesk said:
Hello guys,

I have FTP server in my home LAN network and I'd like to share it on the internet to access files from anywhere in the world. The problem is, I don't know which IP address is the right one (port forwarding and other related stuff is set in the router settings and it works well within my network). The thing is, that I don't know which IP address is the public internet address assigned to my router and reachable from anywhere from the world. When I go to IP check sites, there is IP #1 - 60.220.etc, in my routers settings I can see IP #2 - 10.220.etc (WAN IP - different from the IP #1) and the FTP server has static LAN IP 192.168.etc. Which of the first 2 IPs is accesible from the internet ? Neither one works for me if I try to connect to them through my mobile phone internet (different provider). I assume that the IP #1 is IP of some main router for my city and IP #2 is assigned to me by some smaller router for my area, but how can I use any of them to forward to my router ? Do I have to pay for static IP to my ISP ?

Thanks for reading and answers !

Adam

www.broadbandreports.com register, use tools line quality test, it will tell you which IP it detects to ping that will be your public IP.
December 27, 2012 8:52:12 AM

john-b691 said:
If your wan IP your router sees is a 10 address then you likely cannot use a server of any kind in your house. You need a real address dedicated to you. If you are sharing a real address with multiple other people then the ISP would have to port forward to you. I would suspect if you are sharing a real address they will not do that.

Most likely the ISP will give you a real address if you pay them for it.

Thanks to all of you, I think this is the right answer, I'll have to go and check at their local branch.
!