Ethernet cant connect through router

masonneedshelp

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hello, I am currently having issues with connecting to the ethernet through my router. I can confirm this is not a software problem becasue I have tried this on mulitple PCs and I get the same problem. Today I tried connecting my pc to the modem via ethernet and it connected without a problem at all. The router i am currently using is a cisco RV120W and is connected to the modem via the WAN port, -not sure if that has anything to do with it. Things that I have already tried is system restore on the router, unplugging everthing for 1 minute and pluging itin, flushdns and everthing else IP related on CMD. Also I should add my modem is on router mode and my router's network is seprate from the modem, also wireless is workng fine, and I have tried relpacing all ethernet cables to confirm the cables arn't broken. The IP address I recieve on devices on the ethernet is 169.254.x.) -Thank you for your time and sorry for asking help on this today (Xmas). :hello:

Sinistercr0c

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hi,

Reading your post I assume you mean you are having issues connecting 'to the Internet through my router'

Has this setup worked previously without issue or is this a new hardware setup?

The reason I ask is that if your modem is in router mode, then I suspect you are effectively connecting a router (your cisco RV120W) to a router (your modem in router mode).

This would work in theory but you would need to setup the relevant routing protocol (OSPF or RIP) which is not easy to do as you have to assign IP Network addresses to each router in order for them to 'see' each other.

You could try to connect your cisco router to the modem via one of its four LAN ports (you stated that connecting a PC via ethernet straight to the modem works). In this way any device cabled to the cisco LAN ports will see the modem as the default gateway.

You must ensure that either the modem OR the cisco router is acting as the DHCP server, but not both!!!

Hooking up your hardware in this way should mean that the modem is acting as the router (and preferably DHCP server too), and your cisco router is effectively just aacting as a four port LAN switch.

You say WIFI works OK. Do you know which router device provides the WIFI signal? My guess is its the modem as wifi from your cisco router would mean that the default gateway is the cisco router and hence Internet access should work for both a cabled AND Wifi connected PC but doesn't.

Hope this makes sense....