Frustrated with latency: which piece of gear is the culprit?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
November 22, 2004 9:13:11 AM

I get extreme latency while playing my midi keyboard going into my Sonar
machine that triggers my GigaStudio machine. There are so many paths in
the chain that I can't tell if it's the midi interface coming in, going
out, or the audio path returning. Where do I begin?

My Sonar machine:
Win XP
Sonar 4
MOTU Express XT midi interface (parallel)
Aardvark Q10 sound card

My GigaStudio machine:
Win XP
GigaStudio 3
MOTU Express XT midi interface (parallel)
Echo Mia sound card

Is it more likely that the problem is with the midi signal getting to the
GigaStudio program, or the digital audio coming out of the Mia card and
going back into the Aardvark card?

Any clues are greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:17:35 PM

In article <Xns95A8E2062727Fskippycom@140.99.99.130> skippy@*%$!.com writes:

> I get extreme latency while playing my midi keyboard going into my Sonar
> machine that triggers my GigaStudio machine. There are so many paths in
> the chain that I can't tell if it's the midi interface coming in, going
> out, or the audio path returning. Where do I begin?

> Is it more likely that the problem is with the midi signal getting to the
> GigaStudio program, or the digital audio coming out of the Mia card and
> going back into the Aardvark card?

MIDI works fast enough so that delays are rarely a problem - witness
years of playing multiple MIDI instruments from a single keyboard.
How's the response of the Gigastudio when you listen to the output of
the Mia card directly? If that's sluggish, then that's where your
problem is. If it's fine, then the problem is in the path through the
Sonar machine. Investigate the buffer settings.

If the output straight from the Gigastudio computer is sluggish,
that's where to start your troubleshooting.

November 22, 2004 6:08:41 PM

I have a similar setup using MOTU MicroExpress Parallel with no latency
problems. I recently discontinued use of GigaStudio and now use a
variety of Native Instruments products. Nevertheless, GigaStudio was not
a problem.

Just guessing from the symptom you've described, I think the main issue
is the MIDI path from the controlling/triggering keyboard is passing
through as software stack on its way to and from the GigaStudio machine.

I think you should use the internal routing features of the MOTU MIDI
interfaces to split the output of the controller so that it goes
directly from the MIDI-IN of the Sonar machine to a MIDI-OUT of the
Sonar machine to the MIDI-IN of the GigaStudio as follows:

MIDIController----SonarMOTUExpress---GigaMOTUExpress2

The parallel port interface should let you concurrently record the Sonar
MIDI-IN while its being propagated to the GigaStudio machine. On
playback, the GigaStudio machine should receive control from the Sonar
MIDI-OUT.

Both Echo's WDM drivers and Aardvark's (may they rest in peace)ASIO
drivers have reputations for low latency. Making sure the Echo latency
is cranked down as far as possible (2.8ms ?) should keep everything
happy. The Aardvark latency shouldn't enter into the picture if you're
not trying to link MIDI in and out through Sonar during recording or
playback.

!