Setting up file sharing server - help!

dramos126

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Just installed Windows Server 2012 on a HP p6527.
I want to use it as a file sharing server (pictures, movies, and music mainly), with local and remote access (3-5 users).

I am new to the whole "server" concept, and google hasn't really been too much help.
I've installed a 3TB hdd on the Server machine, but don't know how to set it up to where it would be visible by LAN users much less Remote.

My idea would be map the HDD as a network drive and allow users read/write capability on all client machines.

Like I said new to the whole server concept, not sure if this is do-able, would greatly appreciate any ideas or recommendations any one has. Or even links to some good tutorials are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Where do I begin? ;)

There is a reason server administrators get paid so well; properly setting up even file Sharing is hard!

Local fire sharing might not get you into too much trouble until someone deletes the wrong, or someone else's, file and wants it restored. Or until the hard drive crashes and you lose 3TB of data. Do you have a automated backup plan?

That hardware is a desktop, right? I hope you do not plan to run it 24/7 without regular scheduled maintenance.

I would not even begin to consider remote access until you REALLY understand at least the basics of Windows Server security.

dramos126

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Well I guess I'll start with local sharing. Any good guides online?

Yes it is desktop hardware, it's really more of a test machine before I build an actual server.

As far as remote access, I was thinking over VPN, but I guess I'll wait on that.

TRENDING THREADS