System freezes, the won't boot Windows when restarted

MikeJT86

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Hello,

Started having this problem a few days ago (Saturday 19th of May to be exacty).

I was playing a game when suddenly the screen froze. The system was completely unresponsive. The lights on the keyboard wouldn't even change when pressing Num Lock, Caps Lock or Scroll Lock.

When rebooting, the system would not go into Windows. It would just make it past the "Starting Windows" screen and then freeze up again.

I ran System Repair and let it do its thing. It took about 5 minutes then came back and gave me a general error message, saying it couldn't fix the problem.

However, Windows did start correctly after System Repair was run.

The problem occured a few more times. Mostly when playing games but also once whilst I was browsing the internet (music was playing also).

I finally decided to fully reinstall Windows, hoping that would fix the issue.

After reinstalling everything and updated mostly everything to the latest drivers, I finally installed a game only to have the crash occur.

My drivers had not changed for months, and I had a completely stable system previously.

I've updated to the latest drivers for most of my hardware and that hasn't fixed the problem.

The only thing I can think of is that a Windows update which has installed automatically is conflicting with something else and causing the crash. Why the system is failing to boot after these crashes, I can't explain.

If I let Windows Repair restore from a previous restore point, it does allow the computer to boot but the problem persists.

Here's is the latest details from the Windows System Repair:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 0
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

if the crashes occurs while playing games it can be your system overheating
run coretemp with prime 95 to see your idle/ load temps
run msi afterburner and enable on screen display to show your core speed, fan speed, temps while gaming

MikeJT86

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
This problem turned out to be a bad RAM stick.

I removed one of the pairs of sticks I had installed, problem continued.

Removed the other pair and replaced the first pair I removed, problem dissappeared.

I returned the RAM under warranty and they confirmed it was faulty and sent me a replacement kit.