Quake 3 TimeDemo Demo001

G

Simple Question.
I am looking to run the Q3Demo001 see in so many benchmarks. My question is...how? I've read many sites that direct you to enter in the timedemo command in the console and the specify the demo that you want to run. However,I do not appear to have the demo001 on my machine. What am I doing wrong here? I apologize for the question ahead of time. Please no flames.
Thanks All!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You have to download the time demo. It's probably available at PlanetQuake, but it's been a year since I've looked at that game.

It's like a 500k download, and it's basically just a 'recording' that you playback.

It stresses the system quite a bit more than the included demo, so you'll get a decent idea of what kind o' fps you'll get on multiplayer.

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Demo001 was one of the original demos. As the patched versions of quakeIII have changed, the old demos become incompatible. You probably still have it but it doesn't work correctly would be my guess.

Simplest way to benchmark with quake regardless of version:

Start Q3, at the main menu drop the console (~ key)
type /timedemo 1
Close the console and then goto the demo's menu and run whatever you have listed in there. I believe the "four" demo is the one you'll find in the latest version (the exact filename doesn't come to mind).
When the demo finishes, drop the console to see the results.

Do you usually get flamed?