Keyboard, Mouse Stopped working through KVM switch on Windows 8

wanderingduke

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hello,

I have a home office where I use the same keyboard and mouse for both my tower and laptop (via docking station). A few weeks ago, I bought an IOGear KVM switch to facilitate this set up. It has worked fine until today when the tower did receive any input from the mouse or computer. The mouse is an optical mouse and the light was on so I know it had power. When I plugged the keyboard and mouse directly into the tower they work fine.

I tried powering down the tower several times, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

prokvm

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008

What kind of keyboard and mouse are in this case ? Also the docking station model ? any PS/2 to USB converter in your setup ?

Basically, the IOGrear KVM switches are belonging to "emulated class" kvm switches which are not working with most of new multi-function keyboard/mouse today. Those kind of KVM switch see any keyboard/mouse "standard" k/m devices.
Please see the "class of KVM switch" link at the wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch#Classes_of_USB_KVM_switches

prokvm

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008

What kind of keyboard and mouse are in this case ? Also the docking station model ? any PS/2 to USB converter in your setup ?

Basically, the IOGrear KVM switches are belonging to "emulated class" kvm switches which are not working with most of new multi-function keyboard/mouse today. Those kind of KVM switch see any keyboard/mouse "standard" k/m devices.

prokvm

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008

Kyle Forge

Honorable
May 30, 2013
If this described problem is anything like what I have experienced - it seems to be unrelated to OS or the switch itself. Everything will be working fine and after a few flips back and forth between computers, one of the two will no longer be responsive. unplugging and re-plugging the USB cables from the computer do nothing. Attaching a PS2 mouse will still not allow the pointer to move. The only solution I have found is to reboot.

There is another website that suggested turning off the USB power management - I have just applied this attempted fix and have no results to share at the moment.

juiceclone

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
I have discovered that even though a usb keyboard or mouse WILL work correctly when connected to the comp directly, they may not work or will delay or stop the boot process when running thru a KVM switch. It seems necessary to use only "generic/plain" keyboard and mouse to stop the boot hang problem. My Microsoft wireless mouse was the total cause of this problem when used thru an electronic KVM and then thru another KVM with all mechanical switches. A "lighted" keyboard and another with the "special" keys that take you to your home page..etc, also gave some trouble! Seems counter-intuitive, but try different mouse and/or keyboard into the KVM and see if that does it. :>)