Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard, Mouse Stopped working through KVM switch on Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
February 22, 2013 7:57:57 PM

Hello,

I have a home office where I use the same keyboard and mouse for both my tower and laptop (via docking station). A few weeks ago, I bought an IOGear KVM switch to facilitate this set up. It has worked fine until today when the tower did receive any input from the mouse or computer. The mouse is an optical mouse and the light was on so I know it had power. When I plugged the keyboard and mouse directly into the tower they work fine.

I tried powering down the tower several times, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
February 24, 2013 5:11:01 AM

wanderingduke said:
Hello,

I have a home office where I use the same keyboard and mouse for both my tower and laptop (via docking station). A few weeks ago, I bought an IOGear KVM switch to facilitate this set up. It has worked fine until today when the tower did receive any input from the mouse or computer. The mouse is an optical mouse and the light was on so I know it had power. When I plugged the keyboard and mouse directly into the tower they work fine.

I tried powering down the tower several times, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

What kind of keyboard and mouse are in this case ? Also the docking station model ? any PS/2 to USB converter in your setup ?

Basically, the IOGrear KVM switches are belonging to "emulated class" kvm switches which are not working with most of new multi-function keyboard/mouse today. Those kind of KVM switch see any keyboard/mouse "standard" k/m devices.
Please see the "class of KVM switch" link at the wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch#Classes_of_USB_...
m
l
February 24, 2013 5:11:31 AM

wanderingduke said:
Hello,

Thank you.

What kind of keyboard and mouse are in this case ? Also the docking station model ? any PS/2 to USB converter in your setup ?

Basically, the IOGrear KVM switches are belonging to "emulated class" kvm switches which are not working with most of new multi-function keyboard/mouse today. Those kind of KVM switch see any keyboard/mouse "standard" k/m devices.
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2013 5:13:14 AM

wanderingduke said:
Hello,

Thank you.

m
l
February 26, 2013 10:52:58 AM

The issue is probably with the KVM. You need to check if it's still under warranty. If not, your best bet is to buy a new KVM Switch.
m
l
May 30, 2013 9:56:19 AM

If this described problem is anything like what I have experienced - it seems to be unrelated to OS or the switch itself. Everything will be working fine and after a few flips back and forth between computers, one of the two will no longer be responsive. unplugging and re-plugging the USB cables from the computer do nothing. Attaching a PS2 mouse will still not allow the pointer to move. The only solution I have found is to reboot.

There is another website that suggested turning off the USB power management - I have just applied this attempted fix and have no results to share at the moment.
m
l
!