RAID0 with Serial ATA

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Any of you had good experience with a RAID 0 configuration on SATA (especially with nForce2)? I know SATA is fairly new, but I was planning on configuring a RAID 0 Serial ATA setup on my A7N8X.
Any comments?

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
SATA vs. ATA, its just an interface. The setup is no different because you use SATA.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I knew that, but thanks!
I was rather looking for performance info. Is it worth the extra cost to purchase SATA drives rather than ATA ones performance-wise?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Performance is not limited by the interface but the drive itself. You will not get better performance with SATA.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I see your point.
From what I hear and read from people, the only advantage of Serial ATA is better air flow because of reduced cable width. That's a crappy advantage for the premium if you ask me.
As long as there are moving parts in a non-volatil data storage device, there will be performance impairments.
I'm hoping somebody is emphasizing R&D on "Flash"-like high capacity storage devices for desktops.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I was looking for a SATA RAID in order to free some IDE channels for my other optical devices.
I guess I'll have to evaluate if the cost of SATA RAID is worth freeing two IDE channels.
Thanks for your insights!

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
From a users point of view, I agree. You could add that SATA is easier to connect. No confusion about master/slave drive sitting where on 40 or 80 wire cable.
From a engineering point of view there are significant advantages. E.g. future upgradability, signal integrity etc. ATA has been around for a long time and its filled with subtle details that makes SW development and interoperability complex. Much of this (if not all) has been cleaned up in the SATA specification.
The price of SATA is still high, as it is with all things being new. But it will drop rapidly when it becomes mainstream.