Motorola V551 System Selection

Thank you. I called customer service and they indicate that the
"engineers" can do this, but it may take 24 to 48 hours!

Then I did an experiment ... Turns out that I currently have a Nokia
6800 with Pacific Bell SIM and now my new Moto V551 with Cingular SIM.
On the old Nokia with PacBell, I can manually select system. I swapped
the SIMs and lo and behold, was not able to select system on the Nokia!
So now I find out that system selection is a feature that is enabled in
the SIM, damn them. With the Pac Bell SIM in the Motorola I now see a
plethora of system selection choices that I have never observed on my
Nokia; I even saw a long list of systems which I beleive is the list of
all GSM systems that the Pac Bell SIM has encountered over the last few
years. Very interesting. Are you sure I can't hack into this stuff with
a technician code?

Regarding other question, no, I do not play quake, I am a seismologist.

--
quakeguy
More about motorola v551 system selection

    In article <quakeguy.1l95hm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com>,
    quakeguy <quakeguy.1l95hm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:

    >Thank you. I called customer service and they indicate that the
    >"engineers" can do this, but it may take 24 to 48 hours!
    >
    >Then I did an experiment ... Turns out that I currently have a Nokia
    >6800 with Pacific Bell SIM and now my new Moto V551 with Cingular SIM.
    >On the old Nokia with PacBell, I can manually select system. I swapped
    >the SIMs and lo and behold, was not able to select system on the Nokia!
    >So now I find out that system selection is a feature that is enabled in
    >the SIM, damn them.

    I believe I told you that in my previous response :-)

    >With the Pac Bell SIM in the Motorola I now see a
    >plethora of system selection choices that I have never observed on my
    >Nokia; I even saw a long list of systems which I beleive is the list of
    >all GSM systems that the Pac Bell SIM has encountered over the last few
    >years. Very interesting. Are you sure I can't hack into this stuff with
    >a technician code?

    I doubt it.

    In article <d04n7r$mvo$1@reader2.panix.com>,
    Mike S. <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote:

    >In article <quakeguy.1l95hm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com>,
    >quakeguy <quakeguy.1l95hm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Thank you. I called customer service and they indicate that the
    >>"engineers" can do this, but it may take 24 to 48 hours!
    >>
    >>Then I did an experiment ... Turns out that I currently have a Nokia
    >>6800 with Pacific Bell SIM and now my new Moto V551 with Cingular SIM.
    >>On the old Nokia with PacBell, I can manually select system. I swapped
    >>the SIMs and lo and behold, was not able to select system on the Nokia!
    >>So now I find out that system selection is a feature that is enabled in
    >>the SIM, damn them.
    >
    >I believe I told you that in my previous response :-)
    >
    >>With the Pac Bell SIM in the Motorola I now see a
    >>plethora of system selection choices that I have never observed on my
    >>Nokia; I even saw a long list of systems which I beleive is the list of
    >>all GSM systems that the Pac Bell SIM has encountered over the last few
    >>years. Very interesting. Are you sure I can't hack into this stuff with
    >>a technician code?
    >
    >I doubt it.

    Actually ... let me revise that.

    The system selection lockout is directed by the SIM code, but implemented
    by the phone. For the Motorola phones, I wouldn't be surprised if there is
    a seem edit that could toggle the phone's response to this command. You'd
    need a data cable and appropriate software.

Motorola Nokia