Red Hat 7.2 compatibility

G

Please, if anyone knows, are any of the following NOT compatible with Red Hat Linux 7.2?

Turtlebeach Santa Cruz
Yamaha CRW3200E
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB
iiyama i90a/Vision Master Pro 452

Please tell me. If any of the are are their alternative peices of hardware that preform about the same as these? I plan on running Windows XP pro and Redhat 7.2, to start with. Redhat's compatibility list does not have these peices of hardware. Maybe I'm blind or something but I cant find them.

Thanks

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
I guess the ATI Radeon won't work, that's what I've heard at least. I wanted to get one, but I guess my next card will be a Geforce3..

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
You need XFree86 version 4.2.0 for properly supporting the Radeon 8500's capabilities. Red Hat 7.2 ships with version 4.1.0. You should upgrade your XFree86 system after installing the OS. But be cautious and don't let it ruin your config! Check my recent post about the problem I had with this...

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
By the way, AFAIK you should have no problems with the monitor or the CD writer. For the CD Writer to actually WRITE though, you need a program that correctly recognizes it. Which brings up a good question: What are some good writing software made for Linux? I recently bought a Teac CD-W524E (24x10x40) and was wondering myself...

G

What video card would you recommend for Redhat 7.2? BTW I'm also going to run XP Pro.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
For CD writing, I've found gtoaster and xcdrecord to be ok. They interface with mkiso and cdrecord. Most newer CDRW appear to work using MMC(?) commands, with SCSI over IDE. It sounds more complicated than it is... I just run the software and it works. There is a list of tested burners on the cdrecord site, but my Ricoh works fine despite not being on the list.

Re the graphics card question, my experience suggests NVidia and Matrox are good bets under Linux.

Your soundcard will be fine.

<i>I used to have a girl, but then I got my CS degree...</i>

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
I've got a GeForce2 MX400 myself and use nVidia's drivers with great results under OpenGL. I had always heard positive views about nVidia's drivers under Linux. ATI's drivers aren't as good I hear. Check other posts on this forum about ATI cards.
Poorboy, are any of the programs included in Red Hat 7.2 packages?

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
You mean the CD programs? Yeah, all of them are there. The only caveat is that RedHat's xcdrecord has user-burning turned off - you need to be root to burn CDs.

My understanding of the driver situation is that while nVidia releases their own, ATI along with most others rely on XFree86 to provide them. I think most vendors help out the XFree86 guys, but perhaps not as much as they could.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
I've got a problem with all of the writing software you mentioned. I didn't know your RW had to be SCSI for the Linux to support it. I edited my rc.local file and added a line for loading ide-scsi, but I don't use LILO and don't know how to tell Red Hat 7.2 to 'see' my Teac 24x10x40 IDE as SCSI so that the bus scans in 'cdrecord' etc. find it and I can actually write something with it...

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
redhat ussaly sets up scsi emulatoin whne you in stall it. it atleast it did for my plextor

i havean ati radeon 64 bm ddr with vivo, it works fine but it has had a little bit longer to really get working then with the ati 8500

what is better then a 7000 rpm, a 8000 rpm delta. to cause more noise to kill your ears :smile:

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
My friend's got a Yamaha 2100 and he's booting via GRUB. We edited his GRUB.conf file to add an "append ..." line for his CDRW (used the exact format for LILO) and also added an 'insmod ide-scsi' in his rc.local. But still, nothing! Bus scans can't find the writer.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
yep. if you append hdc=ide-scsi, that should be enough to make it work (change hdc to where-ever your cdrw is). I think you'll need an initrd with the ide-scsi modules in it too.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
No it's not, because you literally append it to the end of the grub.conf kernel line.

eg kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-preempt ro root=/dev/hda3 hdc=ide-scsi