Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What's holding down my WEI?

Last response: in Windows 7
May 22, 2012 8:05:30 PM

Background - bought HP Pavilion desktop Jan, 2011. HDD gave me 5.9, but memory and CPU were 7.9

Current. Built my own system Jan 2012:
i7-2600k, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Blue, ASUS ROG mobo mATX extreme something
Corsair SSD (and WD HDD), blah blah blah

I got 7.9 Disk WEI now, but CPU is 7.7 and RAM (after upping speed) is 7.8
If my old box is 7.9 CPU and MEM, there is no way the new box should be anything but 7.9

Looking for ideas that might lead to an issue I might have? I know it's a little petty, but BF3 has crashed rarely, and I even had Windows shut down on me once.
Now playing detective!

Ideas? Tools? Tests? Methodology?

TIA

Elmo

More about : holding wei

a c 219 $ Windows 7
May 22, 2012 8:17:01 PM

Not sure about your WEI, which is pretty useless anyhow, but the first place to check when games are crashing is heat. Check your temps, especially your GPU and CPU. Memory can also be a culprit. Memtest86+ should find any ram problems.
May 22, 2012 8:33:25 PM

WEI isn't a good judge of hardware, you can use Hardware monitor (volts and temps), prime95 will stress your CPU, as hawkeye said memtest will see if you have a bad dimm. and i guess heaven or future mark will stress your GPU... just ways to put stress to see what's causing your problems.
Related resources
May 22, 2012 9:42:41 PM

Thanks for the input - I'll try running/monitoring some of that tonight and let you know what I see.
I did install a CPU cooler and I'm not OC'ing, so preliminarily, I don't think I have an environmental issue. I think it is possible that something is flaking out (rarely) and If I had to guess, it would be CPU or MEM (or mobo?) - the GPU frames rates, temp and such seem fine - GTX 570 2.5GB btw. And I have played with the Nvidia utils in the past.
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
May 23, 2012 3:28:22 AM

It is not unusual for WEI to vary .1 between tests. It is after all, the least reliable performance indicator.
May 23, 2012 4:12:09 AM

Ok - I've run memtest86+ 4.20 and the memory test ran all the way through and had 0 errors.
Then I tried 3dMark 11 v1.03 and got a [combined] score of P5983.

So, I haven't run any CPU or mobo tests/diagnotics yet.

And maybe the killer question of all - if I don't worry about WEI since it is stated all over the world as being silly:
What *is* a "good" overall test for a PC - or even a set of tests?

Thanks again for now...

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
May 23, 2012 4:22:26 AM

ellmo said:
Ok - I've run memtest86+ 4.20 and the memory test ran all the way through and had 0 errors.
Then I tried 3dMark 11 v1.03 and got a [combined] score of P5983.

So, I haven't run any CPU or mobo tests/diagnotics yet.

And maybe the killer question of all - if I don't worry about WEI since it is stated all over the world as being silly:
What *is* a "good" overall test for a PC - or even a set of tests?

Thanks again for now...

tbh there isnt a perfected all purpose one. the only real way to test parts is litterally test the aspects of it in how its used, for example:

GPU: Stressing it through games
CPU: Temperature testing, Copy/Paste time, encoding time
HDD: Program opening time, also copy/paste time
PSU: Load test using a professional machine

list goes on
a c 219 $ Windows 7
May 23, 2012 11:55:11 AM

You didn't list your CPU and GPU temps while idle and under load. I don't think 3DMark stresses the video card long enough to heat up to it's max temp, unless you can tell it to do so many passes. You might need to record temps while gaming.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
May 23, 2012 9:12:35 PM

Alright, I think I'll close this for now.
I don't seem to have any REAL problems, but I'll monitor things more closely and see if something pops up.

There goes my internal justification for getting an Ivy bridge mobo/CPU :-/ lol
May 23, 2012 9:13:13 PM

Best answer selected by ellmo.
!