How to transfer data from pc to pc using ethernet cable

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
You don't need a crossover cable on modern hardware (the LAN chip "handles" it automatically with standard CAT5+ Ethernet wire). However a hub/switch/router is a much easier way to do it but if you want to do it PC to PC directly get an ethernet cable and plug both PCs into each other then set both of their IPs to 192.168.1.0 and enable file sharing and public folder sharing under both of them (windows only, can't remember what to do on Ubuntu) and then go to Start, network, and find and browse the other PC.

P.S. I have done file transferring without a crossover cable using many different PCs and cables.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

Trust me, the IP has to be the same I've done it before on a pc with windows and Ubuntu. Although I can't remember if it's 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.0

You are probably confusing "network mask", or "gateway", or "name server" settings to be the same. If you have two devices on same network with same IP address, there will be no way of distinguishing between them.

Actually all you have to do in ubuntu is right click on a folder and select sharing to enable reading/writing to that folder with samba. super easy. Also you guys were mentioning IP addresses but you dont need to set static IPs. Since the default setting is to obtain an IP address automatically if you use a crossover cable or a hub and there is no DHCP server to assign dynamic IP addresses, then the computers will automatically assign themselves an ip address in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range and will be able to communicate with each other as they are on the same subnet.