cheap Rycote windsock substitute ?

Last response: in Home Audio
November 23, 2004 11:52:42 PM

I have an outdoor gig coming up involving a brass quintet, which is a repeat
of one I recorded last year around the same time. That was marred by
windnoise which was not reduced by the supplied foam windsock (didn't
surprise me, I wasn't expecting great attenuation from it..) This year I'd
like to be ready for the wind factor...but don't want to spring for the
(over priced) original. Has anyone fabricated a home brew version of a
Rycote they wouldn't mind sharing details or links to ...preferably using
readily obtainable materials ? The mic in question is a Sennheiser ME80
short shotgun electret element.
Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ray

---
November 23, 2004 11:52:43 PM

Renting a Rycote or Lightwave zepp or Softie is a better choice.

Eric
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 11:52:43 PM

In article <41a30f72_2@news.chariot.net.au> rthomas@chariot.net.au writes:

> I have an outdoor gig coming up involving a brass quintet, which is a repeat
> of one I recorded last year around the same time. That was marred by
> windnoise

> ...but don't want to spring for the
> (over priced) original.

It's only overpriced if you can find a cheaper one, and you can't.
This is another one of the many very specialized items in our business
that everybody buys (or rents) because it works and there isn't enough
demand for a second source that's cheaper. The people who need it
don't want to take a chance with something that's unproven.

> Has anyone fabricated a home brew version of a
> Rycote they wouldn't mind sharing details

First, shoot a raccoon.

You can almost certainly find one at a rental house. Since this is
something you only need once a year, it's not worth trying to make
something that might not work. The only microphone protection device
for which I've ever seen a DIY project is a pop screen. If you're good
at modelmaking, I supposed you could make a frame of metal wire struts
that looks like a blimp and cover it over with a couple of layers of
pantyhose. It might work. Or it might not.

November 23, 2004 11:52:44 PM

Eric Toline <Audioetc@webtv.net> wrote:
>Renting a Rycote or Lightwave zepp or Softie is a better choice.

IF you can use the baby ball gag, I have to say it is the neatest thing
ever. It's as effective as the full zepp, for a lot less money. But it
won't work with a lot of interference tube mikes because it is just too
small. On a hypercard, it's fine.

There was some discussion in r.a.m.p.s. a couple years ago about some guys
making their own zeppelins with fake fur and steel wire. Their design
actually looked pretty good although I haven't tried it.
--scott
November 23, 2004 11:52:45 PM

On 11/23/04 8:47 AM, in article cnvihh$jj7$1@panix2.panix.com, "Scott
Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> There was some discussion in r.a.m.p.s. a couple years ago about some guys
> making their own zeppelins with fake fur and steel wire.

(Just a suggestion for the DIY method) Go to Home Depot in the
electrical/wiring department. Look for the plastic cage thing you put around
a light bulb to protect it, like on a job site.

Wrap a couple of layers of pantyhose over it and (somehow) affix it over the
mic. (Duct tape, anyone?)

Something like this:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=x...
citem=

Good luck!

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

<< "Ray Thomas" rthomas@chariot.net.au >>
<< I have an outdoor gig coming up involving a brass quintet, which is a repeat
of one I recorded last year around the same time. That was marred by
windnoise which was not reduced by the supplied foam windsock (didn't
surprise me, I wasn't expecting great attenuation from it..) This year I'd
like to be ready for the wind factor...but don't want to spring for the
(over priced) original. Has anyone fabricated a home brew version of a
Rycote they wouldn't mind sharing details or links to ...preferably using
readily obtainable materials ? The mic in question is a Sennheiser ME80
short shotgun electret element.
Any help here would be appreciated.> >

Ray besides the good advice you've got so far (well, Mike wanting you to
shoot a raccoon excepted), one thing to be aware of is that generally the
narrower your mic pattern is the greater the proximity effect, the narrower the
pattern the more problem you will have with windnoise.

If the background noise at your venue is low enough, and if you can place
your mics fairly close to the players you might be able to use a couple of
spaced omni mics, which naturally have much less problems with wind noise and
could possibly sound better. Then foam pops could well be enough protection,
and can sound pretty nice without killing you when the wind blows. I think a
lot of this kind of thing has been done with EV 635a omnis or with RE50's (also
omnis), and if have no Pro Rycote Blimp with a fur windscreen but you have
access to these old standby mics a lot of schools/AV depts have, it's worth a
shot. At least as a backup.

* No animals were harmed in the making of this post. *

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Audioist / Fox News
November 24, 2004 7:30:46 PM

<< > ...but don't want to spring for the
> (over priced) original. >>

Overpriced is the $849 DPA zeppelin.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 2:56:49 AM

"Ray Thomas" <rthomas@chariot.net.au> wrote in message
>I have an outdoor gig coming up involving a brass quintet, which is a
>repeat
> of one I recorded last year around the same time. That was marred by
> windnoise which was not reduced by the supplied foam windsock (didn't
> surprise me, I wasn't expecting great attenuation from it..) This year I'd
> like to be ready for the wind factor...but don't want to spring for the
> (over priced) original. Has anyone fabricated a home brew version of a
> Rycote they wouldn't mind sharing details or links to ...preferably using
> readily obtainable materials ?

1 - Get one small shaggy dog.

2 - Reach your arm up it's asre until you can grab it's tongue.

3 - Grab tongue and riiiiip.

4 - Sponge out the remaining messy stuff

5 - Insert mic.

geoff
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 2:56:50 AM

Re: cheap Rycote windsock substitute ?

Group: rec.audio.pro Date: Wed, Nov 24, 2004, 11:56pm (EST+18) From:
geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam (Geoff Wood)

1 - Get one small shaggy dog.
2 - Reach your arm up it's asre until you can grab it's tongue.
3 - Grab tongue and riiiiip.
4 - Sponge out the remaining messy stuff
5 - Insert mic.
geoff<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Yuck gross. Cats work much better ;-)))

Eric
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 2:58:02 AM

"Allen Corneau" <acorneau@flash.net> wrote in message news:BDC8BBEE.EC79%>
> Wrap a couple of layers of pantyhose over it and (somehow) affix it over
> the
> mic. (Duct tape, anyone?)

Ah, the old pantyhose and duct tape fantasyxxxxx, ooops , method.

geoff
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 3:27:57 AM

Thanks guys for the wealth of info there..I think I'll go beg at my local
broadcast station, who might be able to loan me a pair for the day. Geoff,
were you thinking pomeranian, or silky terrier or maybe small poodle ..which
would give best attenuation (and least frenzied resistance in the
"construction phase") ?
Ray
"Geoff Wood" <geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam> wrote in message

> "Ray Thomas" <rthomas@chariot.net.au> wrote in message
> >I have an outdoor gig coming up involving a brass quintet, which is a
> >repeat
> > of one I recorded last year around the same time. That was marred by
> > windnoise which was not reduced by the supplied foam windsock (didn't
> > surprise me, I wasn't expecting great attenuation from it..) This year
I'd
> > like to be ready for the wind factor...but don't want to spring for the
> > (over priced) original. Has anyone fabricated a home brew version of a
> > Rycote they wouldn't mind sharing details or links to ...preferably
using
> > readily obtainable materials ?
>
> 1 - Get one small shaggy dog.
>
> 2 - Reach your arm up it's asre until you can grab it's tongue.
>
> 3 - Grab tongue and riiiiip.
>
> 4 - Sponge out the remaining messy stuff
>
> 5 - Insert mic.
>
> geoff

---
November 25, 2004 3:27:58 AM

In article <41a49364_2@news.chariot.net.au> rthomas@chariot.net.au writes:

> were you thinking pomeranian, or silky terrier or maybe small poodle ..which
> would give best attenuation

I don't know pomeranians, but I have one neighbor with a small terrier
and another with a poodle. They (the dogs) both make way too much damn
noise. I wouldn't recommend them when the desire is to cut down on
noise, wind or othewise.

November 25, 2004 3:27:58 AM

"Ray Thomas" <rthomas@chariot.net.au> wrote in message news:<41a49364_2@news.chariot.net.au>...
> Thanks guys for the wealth of info there..I think I'll go beg at my local
> broadcast station, who might be able to loan me a pair for the day. Geoff,
> were you thinking pomeranian, or silky terrier or maybe small poodle ..which
> would give best attenuation (and least frenzied resistance in the
> "construction phase") ?
> Ray

snip

> > 1 - Get one small shaggy dog.
> >
> > 2 - Reach your arm up it's asre until you can grab it's tongue.
> >
> > 3 - Grab tongue and riiiiip.
> >
> > 4 - Sponge out the remaining messy stuff
> >
> > 5 - Insert mic.
> >
> > geoff

snip

Which reminds me of the old joke:

What do you call an man standing on the side of the road with his arm
halfway up a horse's ass?

An amish mechanic...

We'll be here all week, folks...!

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 10:50:15 AM

> I don't know pomeranians, but I have one neighbor with a small terrier
> and another with a poodle. They (the dogs) both make way too much damn
> noise. I wouldn't recommend them when the desire is to cut down on
> noise, wind or othewise.

To avoid wind noise, don't use a flatulent dog.

geoff
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 2:06:38 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <41a49364_2@news.chariot.net.au> rthomas@chariot.net.au writes:
>

>> were you thinking pomeranian, or silky terrier or maybe small poodle ..which
>> would give best attenuation
>

> I don't know pomeranians, but I have one neighbor with a small terrier
> and another with a poodle. They (the dogs) both make way too much damn
> noise. I wouldn't recommend them when the desire is to cut down on
> noise, wind or othewise.

I refer to those as drop kick dogs.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 6:50:33 PM

WillStG wrote:

> Ray besides the good advice you've got so far (well, Mike wanting you to
> shoot a raccoon excepted)

You bleedin' heart liberal! <g>

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <1gnuld4.479ro81fty0a7N%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

> > Ray besides the good advice you've got so far (well, Mike wanting you to
> > shoot a raccoon excepted)
>
> You bleedin' heart liberal! <g>

Well, in New York City, there aren't enough raccoons running around on
the street so that you can run over one easily. In your neck of the
woods, roadkill is plentiful.

November 26, 2004 10:46:22 PM

>walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)

>WillStG wrote:
>
>> Ray besides the good advice you've got so far (well, Mike wanting you to
>> shoot a raccoon excepted)

>You bleedin' heart liberal! <g>

Well seems to me it was actuallyu all self identified "liberals" here
claiming that cat and dogs, despite being squirmy during the mic installation
process, make better windsocks than dead racoons do.

How they came into such knowledge, I don't really wanna know.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Audioist / Fox News
November 27, 2004 2:27:17 AM

On 26 Nov 2004 15:05:32 -0500, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

>> > Ray besides the good advice you've got so far (well, Mike wanting you to
>> > shoot a raccoon excepted)
>>
>> You bleedin' heart liberal! <g>
>
>Well, in New York City, there aren't enough raccoons running around on
>the street so that you can run over one easily. In your neck of the
>woods, roadkill is plentiful.

I have raccoons come into the kitchen to eat. Little ones will
shake hands with your finger (Don't try this at home, kids)
after they get used to you.

We can ship roadkill worldwide; Thanksgiving special on possum.

Chris Hornbeck
!