No drive shortcuts?

currybullen

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Okay I'm having this problem where no shortcuts to my hard drives will show up anywhere in Windows, I always have to enter the path to the drive manually, like E:\ or C:\.

Here's a pic, there's a red ring around where I think I should be able to see the drives. I was just at a friends house and they displayed normally.

http://i.imgur.com/6BvV0pE.png

I'm on a fresh install so I haven't been fiddling around with the settings or anything. Been googling like crazy for this but I just end up with results of people who can't access their drives at all.

Any help would be awesome.

Solution
Hi currybullen

There can be several reasons for drives getting invisible such as some changes in the Group Policy settings, etc. But since you say you didn't make any modifications, the likely reason might be the corrupt user profile or accidentally misconfigured profile settings.

I would suggest you should first try to create a new user account and try logging on to the computer with that account.

This should resolve issue. If it doesn't, try the method given below:

Log on using the administrator account and in the Run command box (open Run by pressing Windows + R keys together) and type Regedit and hit Enter key.

On the Registry Editor window, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder...
Hi currybullen

There can be several reasons for drives getting invisible such as some changes in the Group Policy settings, etc. But since you say you didn't make any modifications, the likely reason might be the corrupt user profile or accidentally misconfigured profile settings.

I would suggest you should first try to create a new user account and try logging on to the computer with that account.

This should resolve issue. If it doesn't, try the method given below:

Log on using the administrator account and in the Run command box (open Run by pressing Windows + R keys together) and type Regedit and hit Enter key.

On the Registry Editor window, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder in the left pane.

Right-click the ShellFolder and click Permissions.

On the Permissions for ShellFolder box, click to select Administrators from the list and check the Full Control checkbox under the Allow column.

Click OK.

In the right-pane, right-click anywhere and create a new 32-bit DWORD named as Attributes.

After creating, double-click the Attributes and in the Value data field, type b084010c value and click OK.

(Note: If the Attributes DWORD is already available, just replace its current Value data value with the one given above.)

Restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Solution