shadragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Good Day,

Was asked by a local school to advise them on a network solution. There are four major buildings on campus. A, B, C, and D.

A, B, and C are all interconnected with 1 GB fiber as they are relatively close together. Site D is roughly 300 ft away from B and C and both have reasonable line-of-sight to D.

Site D currently has a 4 MB symmetric independent Internet connection through the cable company with SOHO VPN onto the school network which works, but is VERY slow. They want to bring site D into the local area network for email, web browsing, etc. Also, there will be a need for SIP phones over there in time. Fiber is not an option because of expense. So I am looking for an affordable point-to-point (PTP) Ethernet solution that can come close or equal to gigabit speeds and supports QoS and VLAN's.

As they are a school, budget is a huge issue. I have been given a $1K budget and can probably go to $1,500 if necessary. Everything I have looked at like PTP lasers are $30K-40K. Is there anything more affordable out there that can do the job?

Cheers.

S

Is a wireless connection to building D the only option ?

CISCO CISCO861W-GN-A-K9 Wireless Router IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 $473
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833120274

If wireless is the only option then this router has the rangge to be of use, I don't know if this is what your looking for and the link is just for information purposes since I get the feeling your not in the US.