Wireless network shows full signal, cant connect to anything but skype

Krayzi99

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Ok, so I have lurked the forum for about a week now, trying to fix this problem. In the past (I'd say, maybe a month or two ago), I had a small issue wherein my pc would lose ALL network connection to my pc, but the network icon showed that i had full signal, no issues. as long as i sign in on skype before the internet drops, it will stay on after it drops and i can still chat and everything, and to fix, i had to restart my pc. well, it had gotten better.

And now its back, and WAY worse then before. skype doesnt have time to sign in upon bootup, and wont connect. steam wont connect, NOTHING will conect, but i still show full signal and no yellow mark or anything! I have done the following:

reboot(derp)
reinstall drivers
move wifi adapter
disable IPv6
static ip
dynamic ip
renewing on router
netsh commands
update usb adapter drivers

and no, i am not able to reinstall windows. I am going to try (soon, i am not able to just yet) direct ethernet to my router. all other PCs in the house are working perfectly, even this one that is slow as crap because it has windows 7 and is designed for windows XP. TIA, Krayzi99

First you need to re-enable IPv6 and you shouldn't be using static IP , I'm not sure why your doing these things but you definetly made it worse by doing so.
A static IP is a special IP address that is for buisness use and you have to order it from your cable company. IPv6 is the new standard and takes over from IPv4 so you do need to change that back.
I would like to know what prompted you to make these changes , is it just something you decided to try ?

Krayzi99

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Fist of all, thanks for the reply. I technically didnt try static ip for this, I just need one for the minecraft serrver i host. Sceondly, i fould on other forums that i should try disabling IPv6, and that i should disable computer browser serveice. All of this is done, and it actually is making my pc last long enough to get about an hours wort of constant web browsing. I have also try re-enabling IPv6 and disabling IPv4, just a random attempt at fixing the issue. it...well... didnt work. i set it back to IPv4 and ONLY IPv4 and it works for around 30 minutes. I uninstalled skype, thinking it was odd that only it could get network acess, and now steam has connected and i can play all my games. I'm starting to think skype was, somehow, the problem. thanks for the reply, though.

Thanks,
Krayzi99

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You need to go to very basic testing way to many things involved when you just test by trying to open web pages.

first thing to try is to ping 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8

This will show if you have basic network connectivity and if you connection can transfer data cleanly. If not try tracert to these addresses and see how far it gets.
If you get nothing at all then you have a problem in your wireless. so try again with a wired cable.

If you get good results to the internet then you start considering something like a DNS issue.

Pretty much you just have to narrow it down.

...and IPv6 make no difference if you run it or not. Other than on the cell network you will not see it being used much.

Krayzi99

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
ok, thank you for the post, but i have zero expirience with DNS besides turning my ip into a .com adress. i get 0% loss and 34 ms pinging 8.8.8.8 and 0% loass, 54 ms ping on 4.2.2.2. a link to some crash course on DNS owuld be much appreciated.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
ping by name and see what you get sometime you lose contact to your dns server.

Those ip's just happen to also be dns servers. You could change the one you use and see if it works better than your isp. 8.8.8.8 gets better response so I would try that one first.

Krayzi99

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

thank you so much, but im afraid changing my DNS server to 8.8.8.8 doesnt work, and neither does 4.2.2.2... should i change my ip to static? or does that not help, contrary to other forums?

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Your network IP are all fine which is what ping proved. You should be able to leave it at dynamic. You can of course set the DNS static and leave the ip dhcp if you like

You can test the dns with a command called NSLOOKUP

for example do

nslookup www.cnn.com
nslookup www.cnn.com 8.8.8.8
nslookup www.cnn.com 4.2.2.2

This first one uses your DNS server. The key here is to make sure you get response not what IP it tells you. In this case you will actually get different IP for CNN because of how their site works. You may want to do some of the sites causing you a issue.

..and if it is not implied you need to be doing the ping and nslookup when things are not working. They don't show a lot when thing are working correctly

The benefit of a static Ip is that for a web page or buisness application you want the same Ip all the time for web page and email operation. The ping is going to be the same and it depends on the Internet provider. there is a web page where you can do some diagnostic things to help with the computer having a better time of managing the internet. I found this site helpful with the tools that were available to test and change settings as needed.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Krayzi99

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

it goes through before and after the problem starts with the same exact results using the google DNS. not with my current, though. i am changing my dns real quick. maybe it'll help.

Krayzi99

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
ok, just an update. I have used both 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.2, and NEITHER of them do any bit of difference. I have switched to wired connection, no difference. is this a very odd case? i am not able to reinstall windows, and im starting to panic. please, i cant tlk to pretty much anyone i know without my pc, most of my friends dont have phones. please, someone.