cdrw drive no longer detected

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I just installed a new network card in my aging P3 500 system, and while I had the system open I decided to try to connect my cdrw drive to the other IDE slot, since supposedly it isn't healthy to copy directly from one cd to another if they're on the same IDE channel. Unfortunately, my system was built by cavemen and the other cable won't reach the drive, so I had to plug it back in. Now the drive isn't detected by the bios, and changing the settings from "auto" to cd drive or even atapi removable doesn't help. I re-opened the system and checked the connection, which was tight, and nothing else was even touched during this whole process. The drive will open and close just fine in windows (98se) so the power is on. What can I do here, or whom can I attack randomly in a fit of rage?

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
You could always try going into Windows Safe Mode and uninstalling the CD-RW drive and/or physically disconnecting it. Then reconnect it and hopefully windows will re-initialize the device.

I have both a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW....Twice the DVD-ROM has lost recognition and the strategy I suggested worked for me.

Still, I am no expert so if that doesn't work someone else will probably know.

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I found the problem, I assume. Two of the pins on the drive are bent somewhat downward, which would have prevented a tight fit. It's hard to tell due to the lighting in here, and it feels tight to the touch, but that has to be the problem. Now my question is: can these pins be straightened out with a pair of pliers or is the drive shot?