Sign in with
Your question

WEP Password problem on Dell Latitude D620

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 9, 2012 2:04:50 PM

My WEP password is 16 characters, consisting of letters and numbers. However my laptop will only allow me to enter 8 numeric characters in the password field.
How can i enter the 16 characters needed to connect to my network?
November 9, 2012 5:04:18 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Check the actual security key in the router's settings. Here's a link to our Sticky Post on how to find that key.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38111-43-find-change-...

A laptop as old as a 620 may not be able to recognise WPA2 security so in the router, you may need to scale back to WPA or even WEP.

m
l
November 9, 2012 5:20:32 PM

Saga's correct. The D620 adapters can do up to WPA but not WPA2 or higher.
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2012 6:54:44 PM

The P.W. i'm referring to is the WEP ID # that the cable guy gave me when he installed my internet/wireless router. It's 4 sets of 4 alphanumeric characters. Each set is seperated by a dash.
It's also on a sticker on the side of my router.
I'm pretty sure i have the ID correct, it's just that my old Dell won't accept more than 8 characters in the P.W. field.
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:02:20 PM

You're not trying to enter the dashes are you?

Also, does this ID consist solely of letters 'A'-'F' in addition to the digits? If any letters beyond 'F' then it's not a valid WEP key.

m
l
November 9, 2012 7:05:12 PM

Nope.
It's weird because when the guy first installed my wireless I was able to get the characters into the PW box buy copying and pasting from a text doc.
For some reason the computer lost the connection last night and now I can't get the PW back into it.
The PW works on my phone and my other laptop, so I do know it's correct.
It's driving me nuts!!
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:10:15 PM

Only other thing I can suggest is that you make absolutely certain that you are connecting to the correct SSID.

Which brings up another question, you're not hiding the SSID are you? All sorts of problems can happen when you do that.
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:12:12 PM

Yes, i'm sure about SSID.
I don't believe i'm hiding it, but I will check.
m
l
!