pikardo

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
This may possibly be the place to ask. I've used this website for a while to aid me in my struggles but now I don't see any other problems similar to mine right now.

I have been using the same internet service for years now and have had little to no problems with it till now.
I receive my internet through a wireless company that sends me internet to a small dish from a tower, I believe it works this way. I have a modem supplied by them and a wireless-G WRT54G linksys router.

My Problem is that for the past few months the internet has been terrible. The speed is find but it drops down to nothing every few seconds and comes back a few seconds later. At times the internet will be out for up to an hour, yet the router still has a light on about internet.

My internet downloads from steam used to be from 150-300 kb/s and now they are 200-500 but will be at 0 for a few seconds and back up.
This also effects my xbox playing. I will play for a minute or so and have a connection problem and about half the time I get disconnected from live.

Everything in the house is hooked up wireless except for the desktop. All devices are effected by this.

I have had the worst help from the providers. they say that have problems with computers in their office each time I have called them in the past month, and that is why I'm here.
My providers have pinged me and said that the connection is fine are their end.
Am I being swindled or do I need newer equipment, modem, router, cables from dish?

pikardo

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Everything is wireless except for desktop but all are effected by this problem.

pikardo

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Yes I have but that has never worked for me. The modem is a little different than most and when talking with the providers they said that connecting to the modem may not work.