Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP not showing Available Wireless Networks

Last response: in Networking
December 29, 2012 12:01:10 PM

I've combed thru threads for 2 hours and nothing seems to work, so my apologies if there is already a thread related to this.

Windows XP on an older Dell Latitude. All wireless settings appear to be on, yet "no wireless networks are found in range" All other devices in the house see the same 3 networks (mine, mifi, and next door), so this is specific to this machine.

Also, I normally keep this laptop docked, 95% of the time, and earlier in the week disabled the wireless (right click on icon, disable) as I normally do when connected to the dock, since it seems to perform faster (no testing, just my opinion)

Other factors:

The computer got undocked without normal undock procedure taking place.

Don't know if this is related, but the sound wasn't working either the last few days

I have redocked, rebooted, restarted, checked every possible config I can think of, checked the router to be sure that my device was still listed, etc. I'm out of ideas.

Thank you in advance for your help.

More about : windows showing wireless networks

December 29, 2012 12:38:42 PM

mapnet said:
I've combed thru threads for 2 hours and nothing seems to work, so my apologies if there is already a thread related to this.

Windows XP on an older Dell Latitude. All wireless settings appear to be on, yet "no wireless networks are found in range" All other devices in the house see the same 3 networks (mine, mifi, and next door), so this is specific to this machine.

Also, I normally keep this laptop docked, 95% of the time, and earlier in the week disabled the wireless (right click on icon, disable) as I normally do when connected to the dock, since it seems to perform faster (no testing, just my opinion)

Other factors:

The computer got undocked without normal undock procedure taking place.

Don't know if this is related, but the sound wasn't working either the last few days

I have redocked, rebooted, restarted, checked every possible config I can think of, checked the router to be sure that my device was still listed, etc. I'm out of ideas.

Thank you in advance for your help.

So many laptops have switches to turn wireless radio on or off, many others have a FN key combo that does it. Your model might be useful for figuring that out. Lat E4500 has a switch I know becasue I use one at work, also del has special software installed that can enable disable the wireless, its in the system tray might look at that.
m
l
December 29, 2012 4:15:56 PM

It's neither of those things. I've checked and double checked them. Thank you.
m
l
January 1, 2013 2:12:14 AM

Update 1. I went into device manager and uninstalled the device and immediately when I clicked Uninstall it saw the network. Which was great until the uninstall finalized. When it came back it was the same story.

Update 2. Microsoft had an update that ran today, and after it ran I could see the network, but once I entered the network Key, it was back to 'no wireless networks found in range"

Do either of these 2 things lead anyone to additional thoughts on what might be going on? Thank you
m
l
!